TeleZapper ?

December 14, 2004 12:04:11 AM

Anybody seen any kind of Palm software that uses the IR port to quickly run
through all the assorted codes for TV's. so as to allow a Palm device
(Treo600) to automatically turn off annoying TV's in restaurants, airport
lounges, etc...

I saw an article in this past Sunday's NY Times Magazine section that had a
device you could buy.

Does basically the same thing, but having it on my Treo would work quite
well, I'm thinking.

Steve B.

More about : telezapper

Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:42:31 AM

dont know, but for some reason, most palms have weak ir leds without
the range of the average 5$ remote control. The sony clie used to have
a strong ir led with a programmable tv remote app, but then they
removed it on later models. is the treo's ir led a long range version?

i always wondered why long range ir wasnt the norm on pdas rather than
the exception.
a multifunction universal ir remote should be a standard pda feature,
imho.
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 9:46:02 AM

dont know, but for some reason, most palms have weak ir leds without
the range of the average 5$ remote control. The sony clie used to have
a strong ir led with a programmable tv remote app, but then they
removed it on later models. is the treo's ir led a long range version?

i always wondered why long range ir wasnt the norm on pdas rather than
the exception.
a multifunction universal ir remote should be a standard pda feature,
imho.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
December 14, 2004 6:10:29 PM

In message <1103035562.203661.249610@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>
perfb@yahoo.com wrote:

>dont know, but for some reason, most palms have weak ir leds without
>the range of the average 5$ remote control.

Palms have IRDA, rather then standard IR. It can double as an IR
transmitter, but it cannot easily put out the power of a normal IR
remote AND the accuracy required for IRDA without additional cost.

Since the intended purpose is IRDA (data exchange), not IR, a cost
cutting decision was made.

--
HTML email should be treated in the same manner as sexual acts between
consenting adults. Only done in private places where willing parties,

On 14 Dec 2004 06:42:31 -0800, perfb@yahoo.com had this to say...

<http://www.pacificneotek.com/range.htm&gt; IR Range Test Results

--
Hope this helps.
Jim Anderson

Begin perfb@yahoo.com quote:

; i always wondered why long range ir wasnt the norm on pdas rather than
; the exception.

Because a strong IR send is a battery drain when you don't need it.

; a multifunction universal ir remote should be a standard pda feature,
; imho.

Why? Controlling stuff like that is a toy feature.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Never trust the advice of a man in difficulties." Aesop
December 15, 2004 3:58:37 AM

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 18:22:00 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

>> i always wondered why long range ir wasnt the norm on pdas
>> rather than the exception.
>
> Because a strong IR send is a battery drain when you don't need it.

That could be accommodated by having High, Normal and Low IR power
settings in prefs. Even better, a smart protocol that starts at
high power and within a few seconds trains down to the lowest power
that allows error free IR communication.

>> a multifunction universal ir remote should be a standard
>> pda feature, imho.
>
> Why? Controlling stuff like that is a toy feature.

I wouldn't call it a toy feature, but neither do I think it should
be a standard pda feature, as I think it would siphon too many sales
from commercial or shareware IR remote apps. to make their
development practical, leaving everyone with a free IR program, but
one that would probably be pretty primitive. I can't get by with a
single 8 device programmable remote. An IR program for the PDA that
could replace dozens of them (with all configurations hotsync'ed to
a safe storage location) would be nice to have. Since this type of
program wouldn't have any two-way communication, this would be an
exception, where having 3 power settings in prefs would be
preferable to relying only on a 'smart' IR protocol to control tx
power.
!