8200 Dimension BIOS Drive support

Status
Not open for further replies.

I have the latest Dell BIOS upgrade available: A09 10/2002 which is a
Phoenix BIOS dated 9/13/02. No upgrade is available.

I do know the computer can handle ATA-100 Ultra DMA and that the MB uses an
Intel i850e chipset.

Can anyone tell me what is the largest hard drive this BIOS can support on
its own?

I had a 250gig in mine for a while with no problems.

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> I have the latest Dell BIOS upgrade available: A09 10/2002 which is a
> Phoenix BIOS dated 9/13/02. No upgrade is available.
>
> I do know the computer can handle ATA-100 Ultra DMA and that the MB uses
an
> Intel i850e chipset.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is the largest hard drive this BIOS can support on
> its own?

Let's see....48 bit-sector numbers x 512 bytes per sector gives about....144
Peta bytes (144,000 Gigabytes.....). Should hold you out till next year or
so....

That's for 1 drive...you can have 4 without a new controller.....

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> I have the latest Dell BIOS upgrade available: A09 10/2002 which is a
> Phoenix BIOS dated 9/13/02. No upgrade is available.
>
> I do know the computer can handle ATA-100 Ultra DMA and that the MB uses
an
> Intel i850e chipset.
>
> Can anyone tell me what is the largest hard drive this BIOS can support on
> its own?

I haven't found a limit yet. I did have a 250gig in mine for awhile with no
problems.

"Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in message
> Let's see....48 bit-sector numbers x 512 bytes per sector gives
about....144
> Peta bytes (144,000 Gigabytes.....). Should hold you out till next year
or
> so....
>
> That's for 1 drive...you can have 4 without a new controller.....
>

> "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> > I have the latest Dell BIOS upgrade available: A09 10/2002 which is a
> > Phoenix BIOS dated 9/13/02. No upgrade is available.
> >
> > I do know the computer can handle ATA-100 Ultra DMA and that the MB uses
> an
> > Intel i850e chipset.
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what is the largest hard drive this BIOS can support
on
> > its own?

Dear all ,
I have also the intention to upgrade my Dimension 8200 with a larger
harddisk than 120 Gb .
Before doing that I inform myself by different sources , inclusive DELL
support . Everybody, inclusive DELL told me that it is impossible to install
hard disk with a capacity larger than 137Gb because the limit is the bios
that does not support 48 LBA addressing. And this motherboard does NOT
support 48 LBA
addressing !!
Great was my surprise when I read in this article that with the
8200 you could pass this limit without any special upgrade !
My question is now, does the dimension 8200 have a bios that can handle
disks
larger than 137 Gb ? And if possible, can I check this out with a tool ?
I am using windows ME. My motherboard is having a i850 chipset

Best regards , danny.gevaers@skynet.be

"Timothy Drouillard" <timdrouillard@comcast.net> schreef in bericht
> I haven't found a limit yet. I did have a 250gig in mine for awhile with
no
> problems.
>
> "Fred Flintstone" <flintstone@slategravel-not-really-.org> wrote in
message
> > Let's see....48 bit-sector numbers x 512 bytes per sector gives
> about....144
> > Peta bytes (144,000 Gigabytes.....). Should hold you out till next
year
> or
> > so....
> > That's for 1 drive...you can have 4 without a new controller.....
> > "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> > > I have the latest Dell BIOS upgrade available: A09 10/2002 which is a
> > > Phoenix BIOS dated 9/13/02. No upgrade is available.
> > >
> > > I do know the computer can handle ATA-100 Ultra DMA and that the MB
uses
> > an
> > > Intel i850e chipset.
> > > Can anyone tell me what is the largest hard drive this BIOS can
support
> on
> > > its own?

ericfraschilla

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
My Dell Dimension 8200 i850 currently has a WD 320GB with int13 enabled, and a SATA-PCI card with a maxtor 300GB
I have winxphome on the WD
I have FreeBSD on the Maxtor

I read an article that was more in depth click here

If it takes a 320Gb, which it does 'cause I have one in there, it "should" take up to a 2Tb...the legacy OS size block is at 137Gb...so if it takes larger than that, it should take up to 2Tb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS