Openoffice???

mb

Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.

I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
fathom what they are saying on their site!

I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.

Mel

>Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
>
>I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
>fathom what they are saying on their site!
>
>I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
>
>Mel

LOVE IT!!!

Go for it!!

MB wrote:
> Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
>
> I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> fathom what they are saying on their site!
>
> I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
>
> Mel

OpenOffice is free, staroffice is not free. OpenOffice is completely
compatible with MS Office. It will handle those Excel files just fine.

MB wrote:
> Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
>
> I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> fathom what they are saying on their site!
>
> I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
>
> Mel

Open Office is a very good suite. It can read and write .xls files.
However, it uses a different engine for programming. If you have excel
files with significant programming, it will be a large effort to
manually convert the programming.

not free, but inexpensive ($79 list, $69 at amazon shipped free), mature,
robust, and backed by a major software company that offers both an on-line
knowledgebase as well as paid technical support...
http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
>
> I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> fathom what they are saying on their site!
>
> I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
>
> Mel

>not free, but inexpensive ($79 list, $69 at amazon shipped free), mature,
>robust, and backed by a major software company that offers both an on-line
>knowledgebase as well as paid technical support...
>http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html

I think Open Office is free.....and Star Office is the pay version.

see link

http://www.openoffice.org/

ahall

Christopher> not free, but inexpensive ($79 list, $69 at amazon shipped free), mature,
Christopher> robust, and backed by a major software company that offers both an on-line
Christopher> knowledgebase as well as paid technical support...
http> wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html

Openoffice is the freeware project based on the
startoffice code base.

The basic sheets are compatible with Excel, but
not the macro languages.

--
Andrew Hall
(Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

it seems that they are the same thing... with or without the support...
http://www.eweek.com/print_article/0,3048,a=108604,00.asp

> not free, but inexpensive ($79 list, $69 at amazon shipped free), mature,
> robust, and backed by a major software company that offers both an on-line
> knowledgebase as well as paid technical support...
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html
>
> "MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> > Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
> >
> > I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> > fathom what they are saying on their site!
> >
> > I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
> >
> > Mel

hehe... two minutes ahead of you... and right you are.
also, staroffice comes with on line tutorials available for 90 days after
registration.

<me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> >not free, but inexpensive ($79 list, $69 at amazon shipped free), mature,
> >robust, and backed by a major software company that offers both an
on-line
> >knowledgebase as well as paid technical support...
> >http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html
>
> I think Open Office is free.....and Star Office is the pay version.
>
> see link
>
> http://www.openoffice.org/

In article <c6udneN31ey1ZefdRVn-ug@comcast.com>, TryThis@WontWork.com
says...
> MB wrote:
> > Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
> >
> > I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> > fathom what they are saying on their site!
> >
> > I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
> >
> > Mel
> >

> OpenOffice is free, staroffice is not free. OpenOffice is completely
> compatible with MS Office. It will handle those Excel files just fine.

Depending on what advanced functions your spreadsheet has.

spamfree999@rrohio.com
(Remove 999 to reply to me)

mb

Thanks for all the great information. I d/l it, and it seems to be working
just fine. The spreadsheets are not that involved and so this is exactly
what I need.

Mel
"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> MB wrote:
> > Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
> >
> > I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> > fathom what they are saying on their site!
> >
> > I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
> >
> > Mel
> >

> Open Office is a very good suite. It can read and write .xls files.
> However, it uses a different engine for programming. If you have excel
> files with significant programming, it will be a large effort to
> manually convert the programming.

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> MB wrote:
> > Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
> >
> > I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> > fathom what they are saying on their site!
> >
> > I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
> >
> > Mel
> >
> Open Office is a very good suite. It can read and write .xls files.
> However, it uses a different engine for programming. If you have excel
> files with significant programming, it will be a large effort to
> manually convert the programming.

Also, be aware that while Excel will handle files with up to 64K rows, Open
Office's spreadsheet will only handle up to 32K rows. Found that out the
hard way...

-- Mike

>>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, MB wrote:
> Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
>
> I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> fathom what they are saying on their site!
>
> I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.

OpenOffice works great. Download it and give it a try.

--
leosity [at] gapout [dot] com

>>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, Christopher Muto wrote:
> not free, but inexpensive ($79 list, $69 at amazon shipped free), mature,
> robust, and backed by a major software company that offers both an on-line
> knowledgebase as well as paid technical support...
> http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/staroffice/index.html

STARoffice is not free. OPENoffice IS free. (basically the same product
with a few extra goodies in StarOffice)

--
leosity [at] gapout [dot] com

leosity@nospam.com wrote in message news:<a9692d79386f2c5c30773d2dbfcf6712@news.teranews.com>...
> >>On Mon, 12 Apr 2004, MB wrote:
> > Has anyone used the s-ware from openoffice.org.
> >
> > I gather it is a compatible Office Suite?? It is free, but it is hard to
> > fathom what they are saying on their site!
> >
> > I am looking for a program that will run Excel files.
>
> OpenOffice works great. Download it and give it a try.

I wonder with the new detante between Sun and MS if StarOffice will
gain more compatability? ;^)

Jack Walker