Vectra VL400 audio problems

mark

Hi all,

I recently obtained a VL400 motherboard (633MHz), which I have put in
my old Vectra VE something-or-other case.

Having jumpered out the system fan, the system will now boot and all
devices are receognised and drivers installed....except for one - the
in-built sound (AC-97, I think).

Win98 fails to recognise that the device exists. It is enabled in the
BIOS and I can't see any jumpers on the motherboard to disable it
either.

Does anyone have any experience of this hardware or an idea of why it
can not be found?

Many thanks,
Mark

It is likely that the audio drivers are missing, and they are not among the ones
included on the Windows 98 CD.

I would suggest some sleuthing. See if you can find the audio chip on the
motherboard. AC-97 covers a lot of chips. Then download the drivers from the
web site of the audio chip brand-name manufacturer.

As is often the case, HP's web site is of no help here, except to tell you what
you already know about the computer... Ben Myers

> It is likely that the audio drivers are missing, and they are not among
the ones
> included on the Windows 98 CD.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=21228&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32853&swEnvOID=20

hp vectra vl400, sound driver for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition
24 Apr 2002 PW4024r 173 KB (For 98SE)
From the readme file:

Known issues

Audio may stutter briefly before it resumes completely from Suspend mode.
Media Player 2 might stops playing audio after system resumes.
8 Bits recording failure.
Some systems may undergo problems with CD player application when using
digital CD support.
In Win98 SE, Crackles when moving volume sliders while playing MIDI files.

Known limitations

SW Synth slider jumps to max value, when Synth state is switched from Stop
to Play or viceversa.
Can't enable Fastforward and Rewind Controls in the Media Player.
Digital CD Audio is recorded by loopback mux selection.
No MIDI till the system is restarted.
No Volume icon on the systray till the system is restarted.

> I would suggest some sleuthing. See if you can find the audio chip on the
> motherboard. AC-97 covers a lot of chips. Then download the drivers from
the
> web site of the audio chip brand-name manufacturer.
>
> As is often the case, HP's web site is of no help here, except to tell you
what
> you already know about the computer... Ben Myers

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpv06498/lpv06498.pdf

Audio
The Crystal® integrated PCI audio solution (not upgradeable) in your PC is a
CrystalClearT CS4299 Audio Codec '97 version 2.1. The CS4299 interfaces
directly with the South Bridge chip and performs all digital operations,
such
as sample rate conversions and synthesis, as well as mixing and processing
all
the analog signals.

Cheers,
Sgkiser

Not speaking on behalf of my employer.

> On 15 Apr 2004 05:38:13 -0700, Mark@mark-pate.uklinux.net (Mark) wrote:
>
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I recently obtained a VL400 motherboard (633MHz), which I have put in
> >my old Vectra VE something-or-other case.
> >
> >Having jumpered out the system fan, the system will now boot and all
> >devices are receognised and drivers installed....except for one - the
> >in-built sound (AC-97, I think).
> >
> >Win98 fails to recognise that the device exists. It is enabled in the
> >BIOS and I can't see any jumpers on the motherboard to disable it
> >either.
> >
> >Does anyone have any experience of this hardware or an idea of why it
> >can not be found?
> >
> >Many thanks,
> >Mark

There IS technical information on the HP web site after all! I have virtually
given up finding any drivers for HP computers after finding squat for I don't
know how many Pavilions.

Sounds like bad news though according to the description of known issues.
Possibly disabling the on-board sound and adding a respectable sound card would
be in order? Pity that HP did not get the audio right for a higher end business
class Vectra, compared to the schlocky Pavilions... Ben Myers

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 13:00:13 +0200, "sgkiser@notthishotmail.com"
<sgkiser@northishotmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>all
>the analog signals.
>
>Cheers,
>Sgkiser
>
>Not speaking on behalf of my employer.
>

>> On 15 Apr 2004 05:38:13 -0700, Mark@mark-pate.uklinux.net (Mark) wrote:
>>
>> >Hi all,
>> >
>> >I recently obtained a VL400 motherboard (633MHz), which I have put in
>> >my old Vectra VE something-or-other case.
>> >
>> >Having jumpered out the system fan, the system will now boot and all
>> >devices are receognised and drivers installed....except for one - the
>> >in-built sound (AC-97, I think).
>> >
>> >Win98 fails to recognise that the device exists. It is enabled in the
>> >BIOS and I can't see any jumpers on the motherboard to disable it
>> >either.
>> >
>> >Does anyone have any experience of this hardware or an idea of why it

mark

"sgkiser@notthishotmail.com" <sgkiser@northishotmail.com> wrote in message news:<407fbd88@usenet01.boi.hp.com>...
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?locale=en_US&pnameOID=21228&taskId=135&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=32853&swEnvOID=20

> hp vectra vl400, sound driver for Windows 98 and Windows 98 Second Edition
> 24 Apr 2002 PW4024r 173 KB (For 98SE)
> From the readme file:
<snip>
> Cheers,
> Sgkiser
>
> Not speaking on behalf of my employer.

Thanks Sgkiser,

I'd already downloaded the driver and installed it. A WDM codec is
installed, but no playback or record device is seen in the multimedia
control panel. I'm starting to think that my Hercules 3D graphics card
in PCI#1 may be preventing the audio side from being recognised
correctly.

I'll remove the graphics board / remove the hercules driver and try
again.

Thanks,
Mark