Whats the difference?

Hello
I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
apple laptop?
so for instance is the setup the only difference?
The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
Thanks Bye :)

Samia wrote:

> Hello
> I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
> apple laptop?
> so for instance is the setup the only difference?
> The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
> Thanks Bye :)

Apples and oranges, so to speak.

Completely different operating systems.

Larry

Samia wrote:
> Hello
> I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
> apple laptop?
> so for instance is the setup the only difference?
> The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
> Thanks Bye :)

The primary operating system (OS) for the Apple iBook is
known as OS 10; that for the Dell and most other laptops is
currently Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home. The
machine characteristics and the applications that will be
used depends on the OS. They are not interchangeable between
Apple and Windows computers although Virtual Windows can be
run under OS 10 with the iBook.

LMAO

"Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
> apple laptop?
> so for instance is the setup the only difference?
> The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
> Thanks Bye :)

according to noah, the apple won't beep when you are checking your mail with
outlook via citrix but the dell will.

"Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
> apple laptop?
> so for instance is the setup the only difference?
> The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
> Thanks Bye :)

>find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
>apple laptop?

OK, in a nutshell. Gates has spent the last 20 or so years making Windows
operate like the original Mac's did in the 70's. The Mac OS was simple and
clean and in MY OPINION was far superior to windows for many years. The problem
was Apple wanted a percentage of any third party software created for the Apple
OS. Gates let anyone create software for the Windows system. Because of this
factor, software providers leaned towards Windows since it means more money in
their pockets. Each year, more Windows based software hits the stores than Mac.
The last I heard, 97% of all software made is for Windows and only 3% goes
towards the Mac.

The Mac is easier to use, but finding software is a bitch. Stick with the
Windows OS.

By the way, remember the Beta format VCR, same thing happened there. They (
Hitachi I think) wanted a few cents for every Beta tape that came out of any
factory. The developer of the VHS (maybe Phillips) gave the patent to anyone
who wanted it. The result now is only high end pros like Television news still
use the BetaCam for the better picture quality. Last time I saw a blank Beta
tape was in a 99 cent store
"Anything that doesn't kill you,,,,,,,just hurts a hell of a lot" JLP20

joey

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2003

"Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello
> I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
> apple laptop?
> so for instance is the setup the only difference?
> The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
> Thanks Bye :)

its sort of like the difference between beef and chicken. some people like
beef, some like chicken. then there are the vegans (linux) but we won't go
there.

"joey" <joeyt@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Samia" <maliksam1@hotmail.com> wrote

>> Hello
>> I wanted to find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
>> apple laptop?
>> so for instance is the setup the only difference?
>> The Apple iBook G4 and a Dell or any other laptop?
>> Thanks Bye :)

>its sort of like the difference between beef and chicken. some people like
>beef, some like chicken. then there are the vegans (linux) but we won't go
>there.

<sarcasm mode>

Thanks a /lot/, Samia.

</sarcasm mode>

With your [to be charitable] innocently worded post you have
thrown us into Round 1,843,792 of the a.s.p-c.d OS Wars.

As you sit back and watch the blood being shed over Windows,
Apple OS, linux/unix and others, I'd recommend you seek out your
personal friends and acquaintances who use either
Windows-OS-based or Apple-OS-based laptops, discussing with them
what you think you want to do with your laptop, and what they
/do/ do with their laptops. If either OS and the programs
available for them will do the things you want to do [at prices
you can pay], then will be the time to start comparing actual
laptops and their prices. If only the Apple OS turns out to be
what you need, you'll need to find one of their groups for
recommendations. If only the Windows OS will meet your needs,
you'll have a tad wider range of choices, including Dell models.

Good luck. I am happy that neither the need nor the desire for a
laptop has ever arisen and plunged me into the morass you
entering.
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.

Vastly different operating system, mainly.

Vastly simliar manufacture (the same companies that build most of the
Inspirons and Latitudes for Dell - Quanta and Compal -- make the iBooks and
PowerBooks for Apple).

"JLP20" <jlp20@aol.comnocrap> wrote in message
> >find out the difference between buying a dell laptop and an
> >apple laptop?
>
> OK, in a nutshell. Gates has spent the last 20 or so years making Windows
> operate like the original Mac's did in the 70's. The Mac OS was simple and
> clean and in MY OPINION was far superior to windows for many years. The
problem
> was Apple wanted a percentage of any third party software created for the
Apple
> OS.

That's not true.

> Gates let anyone create software for the Windows system. Because of this
> factor, software providers leaned towards Windows since it means more
money in
> their pockets.

No, more money hits their pockets because there are more PC's.

> Each year, more Windows based software hits the stores than Mac.

WHOA. Yes, WAY more windows based software hits the stores than the mac,
but not for the reasons you list.

Here's the two biggest reasons why:

1. The PC as a DOS box came way before the mac (forget the apple II).
Windows started off remaining backward compatible with DOS. Thus nearly all
the hardware already in place was windows-ready when it showed up. That was
a massive installbase at the turn of a switch.

2. PC's were fundamentally an open platform, even though the term "open" has
been grossly bastardized over the years. PC's could be made from any
vendor. Mac's are made by Apple. Having multiple PC vendors, you naturally
get cheaper bang/buck machines, which helps PC's stay ubiquitous. When you
look down at the earch from space you see PC's.

"Thomas G. Marshall" <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com>
wrote in message news:6dFfc.63226$QQ6.30151@nwrdny02.gnilink.net...

....[Thwack]...

> 2. PC's were fundamentally an open platform, even though the term "open"
has
> been grossly bastardized over the years. PC's could be made from any
> vendor. Mac's are made by Apple.

Actually I have to correct this: it /used/ to be the case that macs were
made by apple, period, end of chapter, end of story. Now, I've heard that
there is /some/ cross-building that I am not sure about, and will defer to
others here on the details.