Dell XPS M1530 Won't boot..

Status
Not open for further replies.

X e n u x

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
Hi, yesterday I was working on my laptop for a T-Shirt design but before I started, I restarted my laptop cause I noticed that it was kinda laggy but then, after the monitor turned off, I was expecting that the computer will boot but sadly it will just stay blank and nothing is happening, the power is on but there's no activity. I hold the power to turn it off and tried to turn it back on again but its still the same.

I tried the LED Diagnostic code and it says "The Microcontroller is handing control of the system to the processor. This code will persist if there is no processor detected." I'm guessing my processor is dead? or my mobo? My computer is about 2 years now and my warranty is over, I also tried reseating my processor but no luck.

Before going to a technician, is there any suggestions you guys wanna give to me to what I can do to it?

Thanks.

Btw sorry for my english x_x

Take the machine apart, down to the bear board. Put one stick of memory on it, insert the processor and put the heatsink on. Connect an external monitor and keyboard - does the machine POST?

Does this machine have dedicated graphics? Is it an Nvidia 8400 or 8600 chip? If so, your graphics chip may be bad; luckily, repairing it may be simpler than you think, with some luck.

X e n u x

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2010
For the first question I don't have any external devices cause I've never had a desktop, I lived with laptops all my life so I can't do the first one..

For the second question its 8600..

Well I hope its just the video card. The LED Light code says that I may replace my mobo or my processor or reseat my processor(I've already done it twice) is it still possible that my video card is dead? The fan is working, the HD is working(I guess I can heard it when I turn it on)..

Thanks for the reply..

Well, you may need to find an external monitor somewhere - the primary test for notebook graphics cards is using an external monitor. If you plug it in and see video, your GPU is okay and your screen is damaged. If nothing shows up, the GPU may be dead, and it tells you nothing about your screen.

The 8400 and 8600 chips have known defects where they stop working due to bad solder; tiny cracks form in the solder that connects the chip to the board. Luckily, a good percent of the time this can be repaired by simply heating the chip up. If you have a heat gun, it's best to use that, otherwise most people just use normal baking ovens. I've used a heat gun in the past to resurrect seemingly dead motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.