Sign in with
Your question

How to install Win7 on my Win8 laptop?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 4, 2012 7:38:12 AM

I recently purchased a Asus laptop that came with Win8. I'd like to get Win7 on the laptop in a dual-boot format.

Here is my story:

ASUS N56VJ-DH71

Came with Windows 8 installed. I want to create a dual boot Windows 7/8.

If I try to boot off of the Win7 disc it gets to the ‘Starting Windows’ screen and never makes it any further (I waited about 20 minutes).

If I start the process within Win 8 this is what happens:

In Windows 8: Made a partition called “W”.

I go to install windows 7 and it asks me if I want to download updates before installing. If I click yes It downloads a small update and then has an error. If I click no I can continue on. I am asked where I want to install win 7 and I click the “W” partition. I get a message reading: “The partitions on the disk selected for instillation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website and search for DPT. Do you want to continue with instillation?” I click OK. The copying files goes all the way to 100%, then expanding files goes to 20% or so and states it needs to restart. It does so and takes me to windows boot manager. My options are ‘Windows Setup’ or ‘Windows 8’. If I click Windows Setup I get the message:

A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged…. If you have a Windows installation disc, insert it and restart your computer...

File: \$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.efi
Info: The digital signature for this file could not be verified.
Enter=OS selection ESC=UEFI Firmware settings

If I select Windows 8 it loads into Windows 8 normally. If I click ESC I get taken to BIOS.

Under Boot options in BIOS I changed UEFI: MatshitaDVD to the first boot option (I assume this is the DVD drive since the only other options are HDDs.
When I try to boot I get a ‘Secure Boot Violation’ Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup’.

I tried disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS and rebooted. This time it booted off the Windows 7 disc but just sat on/hangs the ‘Starting Windows’ screen forever.

**One time it got to ‘setup is updating registry settings’, then automatically restarted and again got hung up on the ‘Starting Windows’ screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks!
a b $ Windows 7
December 4, 2012 10:55:50 AM

Once you install windows 8 on a system it will not allow you to install a prior OS like windows 7, this is because of the way the file system is layed down on the HD.
Windows 7 uses a NTFS file structure where as Windows 8 Uses a GPT file structure.
The data is layed down and located on different parts of the drive. That is why windows 7 cannot install due to the Gpt format of the drive. As it is an older operating system and does not understand GPT format.
m
l
December 4, 2012 8:15:24 PM

I see. I don't suppose there are any easy workarounds for this?
I'd have to somehow format everything (which I'd be wary to do since I don't want to render my laptop inoperable), clean install Win 7, and then make a partition for and install Win 8?
m
l
Related resources
December 4, 2012 8:19:06 PM

After trying to install Win 7 when I boot up the laptop I get a choice of selecting Win 7 or Win 8. Win 8 works as normal but if I select Win 7 it just hangs on 'Starting Windows'. When I am in Win 8 if I examine the partition I tried to install Win 7 on there are a bunch on windows files and about 20 gigs is used up...so something installed there...it just won't load.
m
l
December 7, 2012 5:29:40 AM

I tried to remove W8 completely to install W7 on my brand new Asus and got exactely the same problem.
Has anyone tried to wipe W8 (format system disk) before installing anything new?
m
l
December 8, 2012 12:13:44 PM

I'm having identical problems to Lordhans with an Asus N56VZ.
Any advice on a way forward would be appreciated.
m
l
December 26, 2012 9:12:45 PM

Anybody have any luck with this problem?
m
l
December 30, 2012 5:55:43 PM

Dual Boot Up/Dwn Grade Win7-8 the easy way!
Create new NTFS partition, then create new folder on bootdrive eg:c:\win7.
Copy/Extract Win7 files to this folder(watch for hide file attributes!).
Run setup.exe from the folder you put your Win7 files in.
cheers!
m
l
January 16, 2013 11:28:47 AM

try to setup the bios. I have a windows 8 PC that encounter the same problem. I have to go into bios to disable "security" feature.
Elcomandante said:
I tried to remove W8 completely to install W7 on my brand new Asus and got exactely the same problem.
Has anyone tried to wipe W8 (format system disk) before installing anything new?

m
l
February 9, 2013 4:44:13 AM

Is there is any option to have Both Win 8 & Win7

I am having Dell inspiron turbo 15r , it came with win 8 on it I don't even have boot-able Disk only option for me is Recovery Disc

I work with Engineering software Like Unigraphics NX 7.5 it's not working properly with Win 8

I am really happy with The way Unigraphics NX 7.5 works on Win 7

I would still like to know any dangerous option even

But i need it very Badly

Thanks in Advance

Hariprasad
m
l
February 9, 2013 4:45:23 AM

I am having Dell inspiron turbo 15r , it came with win 8 on it I don't even have boot-able Disk only option for me is Recovery Disc

I work with Engineering software Like Unigraphics NX 7.5 it's not working properly with Win 8

But i need it very Badly

Thanks in Advance

Hariprasad
m
l
February 9, 2013 5:17:25 AM

You would have to have two partitions on your HD to install 7 and 8. Windows 7 would have to be installed first because as weaselman stated, an older OS cannot be installed over or next to a newer one.

After installing 7, you would then be able to install 8 to the other partition.
m
l
February 11, 2013 5:38:00 AM

Thank you for your time and consideration Stealthinator

but my laptop came with win 8 Installed in it from Dell , I don't have any boot-able Disc

if i install win 7 ( of course i have boot-able disc for 7 ) it will clean my Hard disc right ?

I am dead , why all laptop manufactures are doing this, why can't they provide boot-able disc with it :( 
m
l
February 11, 2013 6:15:18 AM

Running the Windows 7 install will not format your disk unless you specify it to. But you won't be able to install it while you have 8.
m
l
February 11, 2013 6:19:06 AM

Since you want to dual-boot 7 and 8, I think you should take a backup of all your data. Then erase your HD. Install Windows 7 from the disk you have. In the 7 installation, create 2 partitions.

Then you can download Windows 8 from the MS site. Use the product key for the OS your computer came with. It should be on a sticker under your laptop.
m
l
March 4, 2013 10:18:58 AM

I have the Win 8 Product key

But i failed to download it from M " How to Download Win from MS Site to create a Boot-able Disc

Thanks In Advance

Hari :) 
m
l
March 18, 2013 3:31:13 PM

weaselman said:
Once you install windows 8 on a system it will not allow you to install a prior OS like windows 7, this is because of the way the file system is layed down on the HD.
Windows 7 uses a NTFS file structure where as Windows 8 Uses a GPT file structure.
The data is layed down and located on different parts of the drive. That is why windows 7 cannot install due to the Gpt format of the drive. As it is an older operating system and does not understand GPT format.

hi,,

what do you mean? do you mean cant install windows 7 besides windows 8, or install windows 7 to replace windows 8 ??

thanks
m
l
March 19, 2013 2:43:36 AM

qwertySTAR1 said:
hi,,

what do you mean? do you mean cant install windows 7 besides windows 8, or install windows 7 to replace windows 8 ??

thanks

Your answer has been stated. You CAN install 7 and 8 side by side, but you would need to install 7 first and then 8. Because of the way the filesystem works, you cannot install an older OS over a new one in the same way you would install a newer one over an older.
m
l
March 29, 2013 2:32:47 PM

lordhans said:
I recently purchased a Asus laptop that came with Win8. I'd like to get Win7 on the laptop in a dual-boot format.

Here is my story:

ASUS N56VJ-DH71

Came with Windows 8 installed. I want to create a dual boot Windows 7/8.

If I try to boot off of the Win7 disc it gets to the ‘Starting Windows’ screen and never makes it any further (I waited about 20 minutes).

If I start the process within Win 8 this is what happens:

In Windows 8: Made a partition called “W”.

I go to install windows 7 and it asks me if I want to download updates before installing. If I click yes It downloads a small update and then has an error. If I click no I can continue on. I am asked where I want to install win 7 and I click the “W” partition. I get a message reading: “The partitions on the disk selected for instillation are not in the recommended order. For additional information about installing to GPT disks go to the Microsoft website and search for DPT. Do you want to continue with instillation?” I click OK. The copying files goes all the way to 100%, then expanding files goes to 20% or so and states it needs to restart. It does so and takes me to windows boot manager. My options are ‘Windows Setup’ or ‘Windows 8’. If I click Windows Setup I get the message:

A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged…. If you have a Windows installation disc, insert it and restart your computer...

File: \$WINDOWS.~BT\Windows\system32\winload.efi
Info: The digital signature for this file could not be verified.
Enter=OS selection ESC=UEFI Firmware settings

If I select Windows 8 it loads into Windows 8 normally. If I click ESC I get taken to BIOS.

Under Boot options in BIOS I changed UEFI: MatshitaDVD to the first boot option (I assume this is the DVD drive since the only other options are HDDs.
When I try to boot I get a ‘Secure Boot Violation’ Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup’.

I tried disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS and rebooted. This time it booted off the Windows 7 disc but just sat on/hangs the ‘Starting Windows’ screen forever.

**One time it got to ‘setup is updating registry settings’, then automatically restarted and again got hung up on the ‘Starting Windows’ screen.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

The Stealthinator said:
qwertySTAR1 said:
hi,,

thanks

Your answer has been stated. You CAN install 7 and 8 side by side, but you would need to install 7 first and then 8. Because of the way the filesystem works, you cannot install an older OS over a new one in the same way you would install a newer one over an older.

m
l
March 29, 2013 2:46:40 PM

Hello

I think I have it figured out.

Im trying to format a new Toshiba laptop from win8 to win7

It seemed hopeless until I read afew forums and put it together.

In the bios switch SECURE BOOT to disabled or what ever your bios asks for inorder to turn it off.

Then change the hdd/ssd password to master and set a password (DONT FORGET IT)

Then in "advanced" (still in bios) change the usb legacy emulation to "enabled"

Also in advanced go into "system configurations" and change boot mode to "CSM BOOT" from UEFI BOOT.

I am now using win7 on this unit.

I read an article that described why this process "cannot" be done. It seems that there is new bios type out there called UEFI. It has the ability to lock the hardware to windows. Also drives OEM'ed to win8 are not ntsf they are something new or a least new to me.
Here is a link to the article:

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-windows-8-uefi-secure-bo...

Hope this helps
m
l
April 11, 2013 4:22:32 PM

I hit this page on google right after hitting another. It looks like you can't boot windows 7 directly, but instead have to manually select the efi bootloader from the disk according to MS. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744321(v=ws.10).aspx
m
l
May 4, 2013 3:22:57 PM

I spent a few days on this. This was the easiest and simplest way I could get it done.

1. Do the partition (made mine D: ).
2. mount ISO on the partition(D: ).
3. Disable UEFI and enable LEGACY.
4. Disable Fast start.
5. Restart in command prompt. can do this from windows 8, I recommend backing out of windows 8 to command prompt.
6. "cd/" out of where ever you are to the partition(for me it was D: )
7. run setup.exe from command prompt.
8. REMEMBER- Install it in the partition that you want windows 7 to run in. it will default back to C: so do the CUSTOM install.

-I had to download some drivers afterwards and little things keep coming up that I have to tweak here and there but I have a fully functioning windows 7 and windows 8.
I get the screen to select which one I want to use at start up. Do not redo UEFI, it goes straight to Windows8 afterwards, I don't know about the fastboot/ faststart though, didn't bother trying.
I hope this helps.
Remember there is an isoburner/ mount that you can find in windows default, it doesn't show up in my program files I have to get at it from the default menu in start command place.
I used PowerISO.
I hope this helps anyone.

So you don't have to remove 8 or install 7 first. Let me know if there are any questions or updates I need to post.
m
l
May 8, 2013 4:37:12 PM

I just recently bought a windows 8 laptop. I also run NX 7.5 and Catia on my Windows 7 laptop. The reason I got the windows 8 is because my windows 7 laptop doesn't have dedicated graphics.

I am having issues getting NX to launch on 8. Went back to Microcenter and they suggested upgrading to Windows 8 PRO. Is that the edition of 8 you are using..?

I am now in the process of resetting the laptop to factory specs and was going to upgrade it to PRO and install NX to see if that will work. It would be greatly appreciated if you could give me more info (whether you are using PRO). If you are using PRO and it doesn't work I may as well take both the laptop and upgrade back for a refund. Hopefully you can answer this before i run the upgrade...

Thanks,

Art
m
l
May 8, 2013 4:43:50 PM

hariprasad_1989 said:

But i need it very Badly

Thanks in Advance

Hariprasad

I just recently bought a windows 8 laptop. I also run NX 7.5 and Catia on my Windows 7 laptop. The reason I got the windows 8 is because my windows 7 laptop doesn't have dedicated graphics.

I am having issues getting NX to launch on 8. Went back to Microcenter and they suggested upgrading to Windows 8 PRO. Is that the edition of 8 you are using..?

I am now in the process of resetting the laptop to factory specs and was going to upgrade it to PRO and install NX to see if that will work. It would be greatly appreciated if you could give me more info (whether you are using PRO). If you are using PRO and it doesn't work I may as well take both the laptop and upgrade back for a refund. Hopefully you can answer this before i run the upgrade...

Thanks,

Art
m
l
July 31, 2013 2:09:38 AM

hey i've the same problem.!!! do yu kno any solutios..!!!
m
l
September 21, 2013 10:15:39 AM

lordhans said:
I see. I don't suppose there are any easy workarounds for this?
I'd have to somehow format everything (which I'd be wary to do since I don't want to render my laptop inoperable), clean install Win 7, and then make a partition for and install Win 8?

Findubious said:
I'm having identical problems to Lordhans with an Asus N56VZ.
Any advice on a way forward would be appreciated.

I had the same problem and coujld not format W8 with a W7 Disk - So I put my Ubuntu Disk in and formated all the drives which I could'nt before with W7 -Installed Ubuntu then put W7 in formated and installed W7. I now have a Laptop with W7 again.
My Laptop was bought from Currys with W8 allready on.
m
l
October 7, 2013 10:38:54 AM

delete all the hard drive partitions then press on new press apply ,
format then next ( welcome to installing win 7)
m
l
January 21, 2014 6:23:26 PM

chi365 said:
I spent a few days on this. This was the easiest and simplest way I could get it done.

4. Disable Fast start.
5. Restart in command prompt. can do this from windows 8, I recommend backing out of windows 8 to command prompt.
8. REMEMBER- Install it in the partition that you want windows 7 to run in. it will default back to C: so do the CUSTOM install.

-I had to download some drivers afterwards and little things keep coming up that I have to tweak here and there but I have a fully functioning windows 7 and windows 8.
I get the screen to select which one I want to use at start up. Do not redo UEFI, it goes straight to Windows8 afterwards, I don't know about the fastboot/ faststart though, didn't bother trying.
I hope this helps.
Remember there is an isoburner/ mount that you can find in windows default, it doesn't show up in my program files I have to get at it from the default menu in start command place.
I used PowerISO.

So you don't have to remove 8 or install 7 first. Let me know if there are any questions or updates I need to post.

m
l
January 21, 2014 6:26:27 PM

does this solution affects the performance of my laptop? i have the same problem here, thanks in advance
m
l
March 4, 2014 9:19:01 PM

The Stealthinator said:
You would have to have two partitions on your HD to install 7 and 8. Windows 7 would have to be installed first because as weaselman stated, an older OS cannot be installed over or next to a newer one..

This is NOT true. You can load Windows 7 side by side (dual boot) to an existing Windows 8 or 8.1 OS. The biggest problem is getting all the correct drivers into your image. Once the correct drivers are in the image, it should work fine.
To load properly, you will need to check your BIOS settings: Secure boot: OFF, UEFI: ON. If you are loading from a USB drive, it must be formatted with FAT32, NOT NTFS like the Windows USB/DVD tool does by default (go figure). To ensure the system sees your media as efi compatible, remove or rename the "bootmgr" fike from the root of your media (NOT the "bootmgr.efi" file!)

m
l
April 15, 2014 3:18:11 PM

chi365 said:
4. Disable Fast start.

I hope this helps.
I used PowerISO.

Please explain what you mean by "5. Restart in command prompt. can do this from windows 8, I recommend backing out of windows 8 to command prompt"
It is impossible to back out of windows 8 to command prompt. It has been impossible to back out of windows to command prompt since Windows XP.
m
l
June 21, 2014 9:53:30 AM

Hi - I had EXACTLY the same experience as you, HOWEVER it did NOT hang on the "Starting Windows" screen; it proceeded with the installation after about 30 seconds. Not that in addition to turning off Secure Boot in the BIOS, there was also a setting to turn on "legacy" support, which I did. The machine is an HP desktop. /Jevon
m
l
!