PC Works Fine, But No Monitor/Video Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

silverystars

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011
My friend's computer was struck by lightning through the Ethernet cable we assume, as she has a very good surge protector. The motherboard is an ASRock K7S41GX with integrated graphics (64MB).

She's not interested in getting a new computer, so we're hoping to simply fix this one and go with that. Is replacing the entire motherboard a sure way of fixing the problem? I can get one for $30 from eBay.

The PC works fine, and I could actually see (with increased contrast and brightness on the monitor) the desktop and could even check email, etc. Thanks for your help!

Solution
Well, if you have to crank up brightness and contrast just to be able to read the screen, the video on the motherboard is definitely putting out a weakened signal. Replacing the motherboard is definitely not a sure thing, though you could try it. Hopefully, the processor and power supply are not fried to some extent as well.

$30 seems reasonable to get it working again. With a lightening strike that's clearly damaged the PC, I'd also recommend replacing the power supply as well.
Well, if you have to crank up brightness and contrast just to be able to read the screen, the video on the motherboard is definitely putting out a weakened signal. Replacing the motherboard is definitely not a sure thing, though you could try it. Hopefully, the processor and power supply are not fried to some extent as well.

$30 seems reasonable to get it working again. With a lightening strike that's clearly damaged the PC, I'd also recommend replacing the power supply as well.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.