Sign in with
Your question
Closed

PC Works Fine, But No Monitor/Video Signal

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 3, 2011 3:05:52 PM

My friend's computer was struck by lightning through the Ethernet cable we assume, as she has a very good surge protector. The motherboard is an ASRock K7S41GX with integrated graphics (64MB).

She's not interested in getting a new computer, so we're hoping to simply fix this one and go with that. Is replacing the entire motherboard a sure way of fixing the problem? I can get one for $30 from eBay.

The PC works fine, and I could actually see (with increased contrast and brightness on the monitor) the desktop and could even check email, etc. Thanks for your help!

Best solution

July 3, 2011 11:37:55 PM

Well, if you have to crank up brightness and contrast just to be able to read the screen, the video on the motherboard is definitely putting out a weakened signal. Replacing the motherboard is definitely not a sure thing, though you could try it. Hopefully, the processor and power supply are not fried to some extent as well.

$30 seems reasonable to get it working again. With a lightening strike that's clearly damaged the PC, I'd also recommend replacing the power supply as well.
February 3, 2012 7:08:24 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
February 3, 2012 7:08:25 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
Related resources
!