Modem that came with Dell is terribly slow

I had a old USR 56k modem on my old Gateway I just retired w/ this Dell.
I spent a little extra for the Intel V9x PVI Modem option, I wanted to
avoid a cheap win-modem (i thought). This modem out of the box is lucky
to connect at 40kps. I switch the old modem over on my old system and
get at smooth 49333kps that has no skips or retrains. Is there some
magic init string or something this modem needs to pick up the speed?
Even if it connects at 42kps the retrains or through put is terrible.

devans <devans@nnemonet.com> writes:
>I had a old USR 56k modem on my old Gateway I just retired w/ this Dell.
>I spent a little extra for the Intel V9x PVI Modem option, I wanted to
>avoid a cheap win-modem (i thought). This modem out of the box is lucky
>to connect at 40kps. I switch the old modem over on my old system and
>get at smooth 49333kps that has no skips or retrains. Is there some
>magic init string or something this modem needs to pick up the speed?
>Even if it connects at 42kps the retrains or through put is terrible.

Customer support almost anywhere will respond to any complaints
about modem problems by saying that anything less than the current
generation of modems are bad and that you need a new modem, click.

My mother had an old machine with an old modem. When I replaced
that with a new Dell and the supplied modem it couldn't even reliably
connect. We did all the usual diagnosing. Dell finally agreed to
replace the modem. No difference. They live ten miles from town
with maybe poor lines. So I gave up and switched over to the old
external 33k USR Sportster and connections are as solid as ever.

Just for fun, I'd like to find enough info about modem chipsets to
add a LED to one of the pins on these modem chipsets to light up
any time the modem detects an error. I've seen documentation on
older Rockwell modem chips that described some of the diagnostic
and error information that was available on the (unused) pins but
I haven't seen that on more recent modem chips. It wouldn't do
anything other than let me see errors that are being hidden by
layers of software nowdays.

And the Dell 2400 I bought for a single dedicated application has
been running flawlessly for three months now. Frankly, I'm astonished!
I don't have to listen to the complaints about problems. A bargain!
I'm hoping I won't ever have to touch it again.

Hi,

> replace the modem. No difference. They live ten miles from town
> with maybe poor lines. So I gave up and switched over to the old
> external 33k USR Sportster and connections are as solid as ever.

in the past (before I had DSL), I also had some problems with
V.90 modems. I always put them to V.34 mode, and then the
connections where ok. Unfortunately the AT command
to do this is another on every modem. On mine it was AT+MS=V34
or something like that.

chris

In article <ocHec.7427$A_4.2805@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
devans@nnemonet.com (devans) says...
> I had a old USR 56k modem on my old Gateway I just retired w/ this Dell.
> I spent a little extra for the Intel V9x PVI Modem option, I wanted to
> avoid a cheap win-modem (i thought).

Yah, the Dell data/fax modem is a full hardware implementation of the
v.92 standard. It's manufactured by Broadcom, and is a pretty good
modem. My old Zoom external v.90 rarely managed anything faster than
33.6, while the new Dell connects at 45.2 or 46.6, depending on the day.

> This modem out of the box is lucky
> to connect at 40kps. I switch the old modem over on my old system and
> get at smooth 49333kps that has no skips or retrains. Is there some
> magic init string or something this modem needs to pick up the speed?
> Even if it connects at 42kps the retrains or through put is terrible.

Different chipsets will respond to line conditions differently.
Something as simple as a slightly different cord lenth will change
throughput.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc

it's so bad I called to switch to a cable modem. I really don't need all
that speed I was quite happy in the upper 49kbps range. I still think
somebody out there has to have some experimenting on this modem strings!
I'd still like to try and find a good one. A cable connection means the
computer is stuck in the one location and can't be dragged into any old
room.

In article <9q%ec.9138$A_4.7765@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net>,
devans@nnemonet.com (devans) says...

> it's so bad I called to switch to a cable modem. I really don't need all
> that speed I was quite happy in the upper 49kbps range. I still think
> somebody out there has to have some experimenting on this modem strings!
> I'd still like to try and find a good one. A cable connection means the
> computer is stuck in the one location and can't be dragged into any old
> room.

So buy a wireless router and wireless adapter. You could even haul it
into the back yard and enjoy the day.

--
http://home.teleport.com/~larryc