BOOTMGR is missing

thefearofme

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I had windows 7 installed, it got corrupted. I downloaded the windows 7 recovery disk still it could not fix the problems.. I used the Windows 7 installation DVD but its corrupted.. after all that trouble.. I found my old Windows Xp SP3 disk. So I thought to install it.. but when its about to boot it says BOOTMGR is missing. I did use the windows 7 installation DVD to format my Hard Disk. I really need a solution.

Thanks.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Well, the issue is Windows XP and Windows Vista/7 use completely different booting mechanism. BOOTMGR is no longer under Vista and 7. That's why you're getting the message about bootmgr because XP doesn't exist anywhere and it has no knowledge of how to boot up a Windows 7 instance.

Where did you get your Windows 7 DVD from? How long ago did you get it? You might be able to exchange it at the store you purchased it from. If you downloaded Windows 7 illegally, then we can't help you and you might have gotten an infected copy and that's why your system crashed.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Hmm, windows 7 doesn't use bootmgr. You might have to do a complete reinstall then. You might also have a hard drive that is failing. So you can't even boot the DVD into recovery mode? If that is the case, I don't know what you can do.

Have you tried booting the Windows 7 DVD in another computer to see if it boots up? Maybe your DVD drive is going bad?

How long ago did you get the Windows 7 from the store? I find it hard to believe you can't exchange it if it were in the last 30 days or so.

Or, go to a friends house and set up a USB stick to install from if your PC allows you to boot from a USB device. This site tells you how to do it:

http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/how_to_install_windows_7_beta_a_usb_key

Use your Windows 7 DVD. This will be a good test to see if it is corrupt. It might be just the boot portion got corrupted so you could still copy the files from the DVD to your USB stick and boot from that instead.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Okay, I mistook that you tried to repair the boot manager for Windows 7 with the XP recovery, but are you saying you tried to install XP and the XP DVD wouldn't boot and that's what was giving you the BOOTMGR not found error? If so, then it sounds like your XP DVD is not bootable. If it was at one point, then I really think your DVD drive is bad.

thefearofme

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
To get all things clear this is what I have:
Windows 7 Installation Disc which got corrupt due to sunlight.
Windows 7 Recovery Disc
Windows XP Professional SP3 Installation Disc

I can't install Windows 7 because of the disc is corrupted.
I can't install Windows XP because it says BOOTMGR is missing.
How can I fix this?
Can I install XP in anyway?

isamuelson

Distinguished

I hit the submit button by accident when I was doing something else, so my previous post is updated to what I meant to say.

If you have a friend who has the same edition of Windows 7 as you and it's not an OEM version, then you should be able to at least boot up from the DVD and try to initiate a repair of your installed OS. Otherwise, you can reinstall Windows but use YOUR key from his DVD. I don't know how illegal this is, but since you already have a key, I can't see what the issue would be. Now, to copy his DVD might be another issue. I just don't know how ethical it is.

Your best bet is to go and purchase another copy and keep it away from the sun. Mine is tucked away in the plastic case it came from in a drawer. You could go and get an OEM copy of Windows 7. It's cheaper than the retail version, but it will be tied to your motherboard and if you upgrade your motherboard or overhaul your complete PC, then your Windows 7 will be invalidated and won't activate because of the hardware change.

Not sure what is up with the XP DVD not booting. Are you sure it's a complete copy of XP or just the Service Pack? I have a feeling it might be just a CD with the service pack on it and not the complete XP installation, hence the BOOTMGR not found.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Not without the original XP DVD which it sounds like you don't have. That, or your XP SP3 DVD is corrupted as well.

isamuelson

Distinguished

Okay, you never responded where I felt maybe it was just the Service Pack only. Then, if it works fine on other system but not yours, then I feel your DVD drive is going bad. If you have another system, trying booting the XP and the Windows 7 DVD on them just to be safe, as I stated earlier.

thefearofme

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
I tried that before to make sure, the Discs are working perfectly except the Windows 7 Installation disk which got corrupted. My DVD drive is also working perfectly I have checked before too.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Well, then I can't help you. If the XP dvd doesn't boot from your drive but it does from others, then another recourse if to take the DVD from that other system and put it into the system you're trying to install XP on and see how that works. It makes absolutely NO sense that the XP DVD doesn't work in one system but it works in others and NOT have the DVD drive going bad. That, or the system you're trying to install it on is too old and can't handle booting from a DVD, which doesn't make sense either.

Somewhere, something is wrong, but I'm getting conflicting answers that is just confusing me to no end. Did you purchase the computer from somewhere like Best Buy or something where you can take it in and have it looked at? At this point, I have no idea as to what is the problem.

thefearofme

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
Its Custom Built
These are my Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5 2.66ghz
RAM: 4GB OCZ 1666mhz
Video Card: Ati Raedon 5750 Vapor X Edition
Hard Disk: 500 Gb WD
Drive: LG (cant remember the model)
Motherboard: P55m UD2

The systems which I was talking about were all upgrades.
The DVD drive i've checked it with another system before and it works (because I had a previous Windows 7 installation)

I can give you the whole story this is it:

I had Windows 7 installed on my computer before
things got messed because of the windows updates
and I thought to install windows 7 again.
Turns out my 7 DVD got corrupted
I had a recovery disk which I used with the startup repair no help though.
So I thought to install windows XP and the BOOTMGR is missing.
I used bootrec/rebuildbcd and now I get the BOOTMGR is missing from the Windows 7 Installation DVD.
But the Recovery Disk works.
I want to install Windows XP now.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Follow the directions in my previous thread on how to setup XP via a USB drive. You'll have to use another computer of course to copy the XP dvd. You MIGHT try and do the same with the Windows 7 DVD to see if you can at least copy the contents to a flash drive and that way, you can install Windows 7 if you want.

isamuelson

Distinguished

You'll have to go into the BIOS and go to the Advanced BIOS Features section. There, you'll see the following:

First Boot Device
Second Boot Device
Third Boot Device

Go to the First Boot Device and set it to be USB-ZIP and that will allow you to boot from your USB stick.