Question - Best way to handle a 'second chance offer'

oldschool

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

How can you tell if it's a scam?

I really did want the AFM...But lost. I only bid so much (what I think
it's worth) and then wait. I'm not a last second bidder. Sometimes I
win, ya know? This time I lost, but I keep getting second chance emails
from what looks to be an eBay email.

They wanted a reply to a private email address. I delete 'em because I
don't trust 'em... Wrong? Maybe I'll write 'em back and ask for a
specific pic of the game. Something weird.

'OldSchool'
C. Philip Gevas
Saline, MI.
734-429-3088

I asked a seller to send me a picture of the 'second chance' item. In
this case it was an equivalent item, not the original. He took a
picture of the item with my email on top of it, the email with me
asking him to take a picture. That seemed like pretty good proof that
he had the item and was legit. If they can't do stuff like that, just
walk away.

OldSchool wrote:

> How can you tell if it's a scam?

Just access your individual account on eBay ("My eBay"). Under "Items
I didn't Win," it will show any legitimate Second Chance offers. The
scammers can only send you bogus emails, they can't get into your
account information to make Second Chance offers. Only the real ones
should be there.

>They wanted a reply to a private email address. I
>delete 'em because I don't trust 'em... Wrong?

I look at second chance offers several ways
1- scam pure and simple by the non-seller
2- a way for the buyer to shill bid up the auction and then avoid ebay
fees
3-a valid offer, but I'd like to see the original bidder get a neg.

Kirb

You could look the auction up under completed auctions, then see if the
seller has anything else currently up for auction on Ebay and email off of
one of those, or get the seller's contact info and call them. LTG :)

OldSchool wrote:

> How can you tell if it's a scam?
>
> I really did want the AFM...But lost. I only bid so much (what I think
> it's worth) and then wait. I'm not a last second bidder. Sometimes I
> win, ya know? This time I lost, but I keep getting second chance emails
> from what looks to be an eBay email.
>
> They wanted a reply to a private email address. I delete 'em because I
> don't trust 'em... Wrong? Maybe I'll write 'em back and ask for a
> specific pic of the game. Something weird.

It's tricky, but I've had one work out. I was bidding on some Seeburg
Discotheque floor speakers and lost. I got an email from the seller
offering a second chance, and I basically made him jump through hoops
to prove that he was legit (in as nice a way as possible!). I had
him email me more pictures from different angles (noting the background
to make sure they looked like they were in the same building as the
original photos). He let me know where he worked, and I did a web
search and found his company info, and called him up. I arranged the
shipping with him, and he emailed me pictures of his wrapping and
strapping job (each speaker is 36" x 29" x 18", and has an aluminum
horn that sticks out the front, so they had to be individually boxed
and strapped to individual pallets). I was still a little nervous,
but they arrived promptly and in good shape, so that roll of the dice
came up in my favor, after doing all I could to maximize my chances.
In this case, the dollars involved was worth a little work for both
of us, it may not be worth it on small-dollar items.

--Bob

Bob Ellingson bobe@halted.com
Halted Specialties Co., Inc. http://www.halted.com
3500 Ryder St. (408) 732-1573
Santa Clara, Calif. 95051 USA (408) 732-6428 (FAX)

Here is that question and answer directly from ebay's F.A.Q.

How can a buyer be certain a seller's Second Chance Offer is legitimate?
To be sure a Second Chance Offer is legitimate, go to www.ebay.com, and
click on My eBay. Then sign in and make sure the Second Chance Offer appears
there. eBay will never send a Second Chance Offer email with the subject
line "Question from eBay Member." If you receive an email pretending to be
a Second Chance Offer with that subject line, please report it to eBay. You
can report this type of email from the Misuse of the Contact an eBay Member
Feature page.

and the link to that page:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/second_chance_offer.html