alsotav

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
I am in the process of building a new gaming PC and have limited my cpu/motherboard choices down to a socket 754 A64 3400 with a MSI K8N Neo Platinum motherboard or a socket 939 A64 3500 with an ASUS A8V Deluxe. The only reason I would go with socket 939 is for future upgradability, but I am not sure if it is worth the extra money. I don't plan on having to upgrade again for at least 2-3 years and at that time I am sure PCI Express and DDR2 will be standard. So I may have to buy a new motherboard and cpu anyway. The extra $131 is not that huge of a deal but I would hate to waste that money if I didn't have too. Any suggestions?

skt 939 offeres a 10% performace increase for double the price

<font color=blue>My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.</font color=blue>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
As you say in your original post! Is it worth the extra money? I doubt it! And frankly, you will not be disapointed with your Socket754 based for a long time. You can even try overclock your 3400+ to 3700+ speed.

As you said, if you had the choice between PCI-EXPRESS mb or not, it would be easier to decide. Because we now all know that by 2005 PCI-EXPRESS GPU will be easy to buy and they will come in a wide range of price.

Get the Socket754 setup now, enjoy it! And in 2-3 years you will probably ba able to buy a Dual-Core Athlon 64 4000+ or more with a MB for the same price! :smile:

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

Worf101

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2004
I'm of the opinion of buying as much "new" tech as your wallet will allow. You can't stave off obsolecence (sp) forever but you can delay it a while. I went Socket 939 with the A8V Deluxe, Caddilac smooth and on bios OCing.

Da Worfster

If you don't stand for something, you'll fall for anything.

TRENDING THREADS