Gaming laptop under $1000

Status
Not open for further replies.

arendell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
1_What is your budget?
$1000 usd or less

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
14-16 inches

3_What screen resolution do you want?
not sure?

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
Not critical 2 hours ok

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

Medium to semi high

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
Word prcoessing, surfing internet, some photoshop

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?

500gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
n/a

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd writer. bluray ok but not necessary

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

Something that is not a piece of junk

13_What country do you live in?

USA
14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I don't care if the computer iss refurbished. $1000 is unfortunately my limit as we just had a kid and I have other expenses. I have looked at some asus that was posted somewhere else for $855 on bestbuy. Is that the best I am going to get for under $1000? Thanks guys!

Do you mean the Asus G60JX? If that's the case, the G60 is a better machine. The GTS 360M is a better graphics card than the HD 5650, however you loose the DX 11 ability with the 360M (it's DX 10.1 only). The HDD on the Asus is also faster. Now the downside to the Asus is that it has a lower screen resolution; 720p vs 900p in the Acer.

The Lenovo Y560 would be another option: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834146777
The 5730 still isn't as fast as the 360M, but it's a bit closer.

arendell

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
Thanks for the replies. Does it matter that the g360 is dx10.1 and not 11? I am thinking that asus is a pretty good deal. I do have to pay tax on it which will come to a little over $900. So in comparison, would the lenovo that was posted for a little bit more be a better choice because it has an i7 vs i5 processor for the asus? Like I said, the only game I really want to be able to play decently(and online) is starcraft2. Thanks!

The in game settings say something about DX 11, but I can't test it since I only have a GTX 260.

Status
Not open for further replies.