is my cpu damaged??

jcesar2

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
hello guys, well i just have a little question, 2 days ago i was messing around with my computer and decided to take my p4 northwood 3.0 cpu out of the motherboard, and i broke 2 pins on the lower right corner[in relation to the cpu's right possition on the socket] the first thing that crossed my mind was "i am screwed" but then i decided to see if it was working, and i t was, actually i don't seem to find any problem at all... so what i want to know is. will my cpu die sooner or later??? will i have any problems with it??? , well i also dumped the receipts and cpu box, so i don't think i can send it back and get a new one. am i right??
for your answers thanks

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
Wow! You are lucky, you probably broke unused PINS! Buy a lottery ticket!

A CPU is a magnificient piece of DIGITAL electronics. If you pluf it in and it works it's fine and it will probably never dies from the missing pins.

You should only check your voltage in BIOS and windows. If you have broken "voltage" pins, your CPU may run with a voltage that is different of the original value. For the rest, enjoy the show and be cautious when you will mess with a cpu again!

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

Tavelkyosoba

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2003
yeah what he said...you might have also magically unlocked the multiplier, check it out.

I've got a book of matches,
I've got a can of kerosene,
I've got some bright ideas involving you and me.

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
This would be amazing to learn that unlocking P4 is easily done by removing some PIN of the CPU! But I doubt this will ever happen!

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are many redundant pins on CPU's.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It takes several power pins (many common to each other) and several ground pins (all common to each other) to make a CPU work, and they can make up over 1/2 the total pins on the CPU!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
It could also be pins for a function that is disabled. Now your chip wont be able to do certain types of backflips.
Most of the time though if you break a pin, it's crucial to the north bridge connection. Such is life.

lunchtime

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
fascinating, I learn something new every day.

Hey, you gotta ease up on fixing computers like I do with a hammer, my friend. :>)

<font color=purple>there is no such thing as a free lunch...</font color=purple>

TRENDING THREADS