Sopranos Underboss mode

Last response: in Video Games
August 23, 2005 5:02:10 AM

Got all the ranks up to Underboss, got all the 8 red lights around
Underboss, now I'm in Underboss multiball.

How does one complete Underboss and finally make it to Boss rank?

I was in the multiball and couldn't figure out what to do, even though
I was hitting shots. Status report on all pages just said "BOSS IS
LIT".

Both times I've made it to Underboss, I've been on my last ball, so
don't even know what the game does on the next ball (I assume it
resets)....

Josh
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 2:42:09 PM

boss is made by completing all "modes" plus super jackput, etc
(everything that is listed around under boss insert on the playfield).
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 3:01:38 PM

> Got all the ranks up to Underboss, got all the 8 red lights around
> Underboss, now I'm in Underboss multiball.

You were there. You got all of the eight modes:

Episodes
Bada Bing
Truck Heist
Food
Safe
R.I.P
Super Jackpot
Meadowlands

.... and you went up the ranks:

Associate
Soldier
Good Earner
Acting Capo
Capo
Consilgiere
Underboss

> I was in the multiball and couldn't figure out what to do, even though
> I was hitting shots. Status report on all pages just said "BOSS IS
> LIT".

The boss is lit is the HBO spinner shot. When boss is lit the Advance
Rank Green Light is on. If you are at the underboss multiball and all
modes (8) are completed at this juncture, the advance rank light to
activate the boss wizard mode does not come on until you are down to
one ball.

Completing the boss wizard mode is very difficult and a topic for
another discussion.
August 23, 2005 3:06:26 PM

UNDERBOSS has nothing to do with getting to Boss wizard mode, other
than indicating that you have completed all the required ranks which
are part of the task. The other things you have to do are:

- get a super jackpot (I never had a woman yell that at me before)
- complete Meadowlands, 4 times I think
- complete Truck Heist, also 4 times I think.
- get at least one safe
- get at least one party at the bing.
- completing all of the episodes, you can see your progress by looking
at the lights by the spinner.
- killing off the cast members by completing the RIP rollovers 8 times.
- Food fight! (not the good china!)

When you go into Boss mode, you'll start out with a multiball. Then you
have to complete each shot a number of times. Add-a-ball is on all the
time which is nice.

Here's one trick I learned: If you are in Boss mode with balls
remaining to play, but do not complete boss mode, tilt the machine. It
will start the next ball in boss mode again. If you do not tilt, the
next ball will restart at the beginning. Not being the greatest player
in the world, I've only come across this one once (by accident). But I
keep it in my bag of tricks. BTW 440m that game, underboss twice!

Jeff
August 23, 2005 3:17:51 PM

jknight@quik.com wrote:
> UNDERBOSS has nothing to do with getting to Boss wizard mode, other
> than indicating that you have completed all the required ranks which
> are part of the task. The other things you have to do are:
>
> - get a super jackpot (I never had a woman yell that at me before)
> - complete Meadowlands, 4 times I think
> - complete Truck Heist, also 4 times I think.
> - get at least one safe
> - get at least one party at the bing.
> - completing all of the episodes, you can see your progress by looking
> at the lights by the spinner.
> - killing off the cast members by completing the RIP rollovers 8 times.
> - Food fight! (not the good china!)
>
> When you go into Boss mode, you'll start out with a multiball. Then you
> have to complete each shot a number of times. Add-a-ball is on all the
> time which is nice.

Boss can (and must) be continued even when one ball is left (add-a-ball
still given every time fish is lit)

> Here's one trick I learned: If you are in Boss mode with balls
> remaining to play, but do not complete boss mode, tilt the machine. It
> will start the next ball in boss mode again. If you do not tilt, the
> next ball will restart at the beginning. Not being the greatest player
> in the world, I've only come across this one once (by accident). But I
> keep it in my bag of tricks. BTW 440m that game, underboss twice!

Just don't tilt during multiball just because you are shaking and
slapping the game too enthusiastically, though.....

> Jeff
August 23, 2005 3:21:03 PM

Krellan wrote:
> Got all the ranks up to Underboss, got all the 8 red lights around
> Underboss, now I'm in Underboss multiball.
>
> How does one complete Underboss and finally make it to Boss rank?
>
> I was in the multiball and couldn't figure out what to do, even though
> I was hitting shots. Status report on all pages just said "BOSS IS
> LIT".
>
> Both times I've made it to Underboss, I've been on my last ball, so
> don't even know what the game does on the next ball (I assume it
> resets)....
>
> Josh

>From what I've seen of Boss Mode (with my meager arsenal of skills)
the order of shots is

4 Food Shots (any of them, even the same one 4 times)
3 Meadowlands
3 Truck
3 Boat Locks
3 Bing Ramps
??? RIP ???
??? Safe ???

can anyone correct me or fill in the blanks?
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:34:23 PM

(about Boss mode with balls remaining to play)

Wow, that's quite a rules exploit!

Tilting the machine to get a chance to replay Boss mode at the next
ball, vs. letting the machine advance normally to the next ball and
having to start all over from zero.

Any word on whether Stern will close this exploit in future ROM's, or
whether this is the preferred mode of behaviour? I can see this making
a big difference in a tournament somewhere, where one guy knows this
trick and the other guy doesn't.

Josh
Anonymous
August 23, 2005 5:39:42 PM

I had already completed all 8 of the red lights (Truck Heist is the
only one that is annoying enough to require "farming" for, the others
tend to just happen during normal gameplay while climbing the ladder up
to Underboss). So, the red lights aren't a problem. I had already
qualified Underboss and made it into Underboss multiball. Just didn't
complete it, though.

During Underboss multiball, I noticed the scoreboard spelling out
letters in "UNDERBOSS". I didn't complete the sequence, though. If I
had made it all, what would be the award?

Is there a goal of Underboss multiball, or is it just an "intermission"
that exists simply to score points?

Now, I need to get to Underboss multiball with some more balls
remaining to play, so that I can have a chance to start Boss mode after
returning to single ball play. The few times I've made it to Underboss
multiball, I've always ended by double-draining :(

Krellan
August 23, 2005 7:43:58 PM

Once you hit enough things to completely spell UNDERBOSS then you try
to lock balls in Stugots, Bing, and spinner. If you get a ball in all
three the cork pops off the bottle and you start over. I haven't
figured out the scoring completely, but there are multiupliers for each
time you spell UNDERBOSS and lock balls. Obviously, if you are down to
two balls, the machine pops the cork after two balls are locked and
only increments the multipliers for wherever the ball is locked.

When you have drained all but the last ball, underboss ends and you
return to where you were before it started with a few extra points.
Potentially a lot of extra points. For me, that usually means
completing an eposide or a meadowlands or a truck heist to light BOSS
mode. Sounds like in your case, all you had to do was put the ball
through the spinner to start BOSS mode.

Intermission? I guess that's one way of looking at it!
Jeff
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 3:45:40 PM

<jknight@quik.com> wrote in message
> UNDERBOSS has nothing to do with getting to Boss wizard mode, other
> than indicating that you have completed all the required ranks which
> are part of the task. The other things you have to do are:
>
> - get a super jackpot (I never had a woman yell that at me before)
> - complete Meadowlands, 4 times I think
> - complete Truck Heist, also 4 times I think.
> - get at least one safe
> - get at least one party at the bing.
> - completing all of the episodes, you can see your progress by looking
> at the lights by the spinner.
> - killing off the cast members by completing the RIP rollovers 8 times.
> - Food fight! (not the good china!)
>
> When you go into Boss mode, you'll start out with a multiball. Then you
> have to complete each shot a number of times. Add-a-ball is on all the
> time which is nice.
>
> Here's one trick I learned: If you are in Boss mode with balls
> remaining to play, but do not complete boss mode, tilt the machine. It
> will start the next ball in boss mode again. If you do not tilt, the
> next ball will restart at the beginning. Not being the greatest player
> in the world, I've only come across this one once (by accident). But I
> keep it in my bag of tricks. BTW 440m that game, underboss twice!
>
> Jeff

WOW - glad I know this now! My kids and friends are going to hate me!
Paul
!