Sign in with
Your question

Need definitive answer to DisplayPort and third monitor

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 6, 2011 2:16:33 PM

Every time I have looked this up or ask I get a different answer: How do I plug in my third monitor?

I have two samsung syncmasters (DVI/VGA) and a Samsung TV (HDMI/VGA) to connect to an HD 5770 (2 DVI/1HDMI/1Display Port).

Some people say get an active adapter. Some say active only for DVI/DP, but passive HDMI/DP will suffice. Others insist HDMI/DP has to be active. And these adapters are few and far between, going for 100$+ apparently. Really? Might as well throw in a second HD 5770. What? I can't use the DVI's on that one either? Does the HDMI on the GPU only replace a single DVI? I am told the third monitor must be attached to the DP. That or splurge more on one of the few DP compliant monitors out there.

I am even more confused by the fact that AMD does not list any certified "active HDMI-DP" adapters.
http://support.amd.com/us/eyefinity/Pages/eyefinity-don...

And I haven't even gotten started on the sound. Not that it's an issue for me right now, but it would be handy to know.

Is there a definitive guide out there? Should I wait for a card to come out that supports three monitors natively without all the hassle, i.e. do they/will they exist?

Thanks in advance.
July 6, 2011 3:30:27 PM

Alright, so an active adapter is really needed if you are going beyond 1200x1920. Generally, not all ports are available at the same time, they are there for flexibility only. IE if the DP port is used, a DVI port is disabled. From what I understand, this card supports only two outputs at the same time which means no three monitor support.

You can also convert display port -> VGA

Edit - looking into this card - its different then which one I thought. Sorry about that! Yes eyefinity requires an active displayport adapter.
a c 193 C Monitor
July 6, 2011 8:29:13 PM

Eyefinity requires the use of the DisplayPort. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort, then you must purchase an Active DisplayPort adapter to connect to the monitor's DVI port.

Your connectivity options are as follows:

1. DVI / DVI / DisplayPort
2. DVI / HDMI / DisplayPort

Here's an example of an Active DisplayPort adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
July 6, 2011 9:09:49 PM

jaguarskx said:
Eyefinity requires the use of the DisplayPort. If your monitor does not have a DisplayPort, then you must purchase an Active DisplayPort adapter to connect to the monitor's DVI port.

Your connectivity options are as follows:

1. DVI / DVI / DisplayPort
2. DVI / HDMI / DisplayPort

Here's an example of an Active DisplayPort adapter:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Are you suggesting I connect the first monitor to the DVI, the second monitor to the HDMI and the third monitor from DVI to Display port with a DVI/DP adapter? The TV has no DVI input.

Does the HDMI on the HD 5770 transmit sound as well?
a c 193 C Monitor
July 6, 2011 10:07:27 PM

Samsung monitor #1 - DVI
Samsung monitor #2 - DisplayPort to DVI using an adapter
Samsung HDTV - HDMI

As for sound... go to AMD's website and download the audio drivers for your card. I heard in some instances that when installing drivers for Radeon cards, the audio drivers are not automatically installed as well.

!