Intel has to catch up

Paul5186

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
I'm not an Intel hater, but I really think that Intel is on the down.

1) Firt came the Presshot
2) Now comes the dodgy 775 socket

Intel is trying to bring in new technologies to their platform (PCI-Express)
but they are going about it in the wrong way. They should have stuck with
the socket 478 (865 and 875) as it can now be shown that 775 under performs.

I know it is early time, but is 775 the right way forward? Can you see yourself
as an enthusiast building an overclcking or other such system on this board and CPU?

AMD now has the upper hand, its platform has developed over the past year and now
Intel has to play some catch up.

yeah yeah we know. There's been a thousand and one threads made on this topic. Thanks!

<font color=blue>My dick is so big, that my dick has a dick. And my dicks' dick is bigger than yours.</font color=blue>

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
No they really dont. Intel is very rich and still hold the majority of the market and most all the market for ppl who know nothing about computers. What does AMD have? They have a 64 bit chip that for the most part is useless. Well, we can use it when windows XP 64bit comes out. But when will that be? It will be when intel has a 64-bit chip of there own. I will still buy a 64-bit AMD because of future proofing and it is better and cheaper than intel chips but really there is no point to have 64-bit chips. Games can not yet utilize it and neither can most software. Believe me when software starts to impliment 64-bits Intel will have a 64-bit chip of there own (or even a couple of chips).

Isn't anyone outraged that these chips still have no support. Can't game/software developers create patches to utilize 64-bits. Bah

endyen

Splendid
No 64 bit software ( linux doesn't count i guess.) It just doesn't matter. The A64 is the best 32 bit chip around. When windows 64 comes out, A64 will do 32 bit better. When 64 bit software comes, another boost for your old chip.
Buy an A64 now, get free upgrades later. What a deal.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Prescott is not a failure as many forum freaks try to point out.

PCI Express, DDR2 and LGA 775 are not a failure either, these features super high bandwidth, that can never be a failure.

Also, 64bit is already being implented in games, SSE, SSE2 and other extensions provide 64bit bandwidth.

Don't believe everything you read on websites or stuff you read on forums as many websites have sponsers who pay them to favor this product or another, use you own judgment.

===========================
<A HREF="http://www.clan-chaos.com" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
STFU :mad:

Don't believe everything you read on websites or stuff you read on forums as many websites have sponsers who pay them to favor this product or another, use you own judgment.
Then why you are posting in this forum? Why you like THG videos?

------------
<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86" target="_new">My Website</A>

<A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/myrig.html" target="_new">My Rig</A> & <A HREF="http://geocities.com/spitfire_x86/benchmark.html" target="_new">3DMark score</A>

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I agree with you! People who sees conspiracy everywhere are often the most biased people around!

--
It's tricky to use words like <b><font color=green>AMD</font color=green></b> or <b><font color=blue>Intel</font color=blue></b> in a signature some users could think your are biased.

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are right, bandwidth is where its at.

Im on 925X now and it smokes the socket 478 counterparts at stock speed.

A64 will also adopt SSE3 very soon.

LGA775 wil prove to be the superior platform. Anything pro Intel on this forum will bend the AMD fans out of shape.

<b>My sig is better than yours.<b>

endyen

Splendid
Reality check.
When Intel saw the leakage current (spelled heat) with prescott, they should have shifted northwood to 90 nano. This would have given them 4 gigs by now.
Instead they decided to push ahead, and now have $3B+ in stock on the shelf.
Plugging a leaky baseboard into a form that is heat sensitive makes no sense at all. Sure Intel is big enough to cram what they want down our throats, but it is going to cost them.

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well People dont understand something. Each company Leap frog each other. Like when Amd hit the 1ghz mark. Then they stayed the fastest untel 2000+ And they had a Long downslide on tech. While Intel was the fastest Untel the Amd 64 came out. And amd has the fastest computer. Intel will come back. But this leapfroging in tech is what fun between both companys.

lunchtime

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2004
Yea the whole thing is interesting and everyone has their opinions. I don't know enough about the stock market to make the assertion really but that never stoped anyone on this forum so here goes: Intel is the giant and they are pushing ahead to new technology. The average corperate user likely isn't going to be concerned with overclocking for the sake of gaming they are just going to be following along with the upgrades that they deem neccessary to stay ahead of the game. I suppose many companies upgrade on a regular basis, so despite the disappointments things will move forward and intel won't loose enough to loose the marketing war.

It does seem like they are making some poor decisions though, doesn't it? I would hate to invest in a major upgrade then later find out it is worse than what I had to start with. It seems kind of dishonest doesn't it. My assumption is that it is all a means to an end. They have planned to technology out this way to get to where they want to go.

It is interesting to me how the technology advances. Ddr 2 is on graphics cards and now ram. I saw the ddr 2 ram out before the new intel platform came out. I find that a bit bizzare in a way.

Amd has the a64 but intel now has ddr2, pci express and so forth. Some very interesting topics of conversation, no doubt.

<font color=purple>there is no such thing as a free lunch...</font color=purple>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
What does AMD have? They have a 64 bit chip that for the most part is useless. Well, we can use it when windows XP 64bit comes out.
Is this some kind of joke? What an amazingly ignorant comment. Just because we aren't utilizing the 64-bit technologies of the A64...you know what? Nevermind. I don't feel like wasting my time with you.

But people like you worry me. Spreading all this unbelievable bs.

The A64 kicks ass in games you jackass. Sorry, sorry. "Stay calm." Ok, all I ask is for you to read. Just read. I don't know HOW you came up with that ridiculous claim, but it definately wasn't from an acclaimed website.

I feel for you.

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)
"I just can't live without rageahol." - Homer Simpson

Paul5186

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2004
The Athlon64 is a new innovation, just wait 6 months to a year when the software and patches for 64bit is here. 32bit has been around for a hell of a long time, just imagine what the Athlon64 will be capable of in the future.

If you want a quick fix, buy a prescott, but I see this chip going nowhere.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
ok i have to comment on this now. u say the a64 kicks ass in games. does it beat a 3ghz prescott at 1600x1200 in games?? i think that would be no. you're limited by your gpu anyway so as long as you have something descent its the same speed.

gpol2162

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2004
Some of u ppl are so naive. First of I said that the A64 was still the best chip around. My argumanet based soley on my oponion and my experince with purachsing computer hardware/software is that things take a while to come out (I don't believe 64-bit stuff will be out in 6 months). Why would games makers or software developers waste time making 64-bit software/patches when a small miniority of users has A64's? Possibly they wish to push 64-bit to the foerfront to benifit themselves somehow but I find this hard to believe. They will stick with making 32-bit stuff until it is profitable to switch.

DonnieDarko

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2004
ok i have to comment on this now. u say the a64 kicks ass in games. does it beat a 3ghz prescott at 1600x1200 in games?? i think that would be no.
And I think you have no clue what your talking about. You sound like one of them people that would say, "My p4 is faster than your athlon because I have a higher clock speed".

AMD64 2800+
MSI Neo-Fis2r
512mb Kingmax ddr400
Sapphire 9800pro 128mb
10K WD Raptor

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
lol, intel isn't even racing with AMD. they don't need to. they have the corporate market, they dictate industry standard, amd can get 100fps more in games, who really cares? we all know the enthusiast market makes up only 5% of the computer market. Besides ,the A64 does not beat a P4 across the board. only beats it in application specific games.

Prescott 3.0E
1GB PC 3200 Dual channel
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
42,801 Aquamarks

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
What's an application specific game?

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ok i have to comment on this now. u say the a64 kicks ass in games. does it beat a 3ghz prescott at 1600x1200 in games??

yes

sure it wont make the same difference, like if you are running at 800x600, but a faster proc will always get you a few more FPS

besides, most games are just as CPU limited as GPU limited. look at Commanche4, UT2004, and im sure Doom3 will be to a certain extent

and if you were trying to make a point of the Prescott being faster for Windows stuff, that also is quite wrong

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
lol application specific game? you gotta love it when people put big words together to try to sound smart eh

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
a64 performs slightly better than a P4 in some games. Serious sam, UT2k4, while the intel is better in QuakeIII based games.

Prescott 3.0E 1MB L2 HT
1GB PC 3200 Dual channel(PAT)
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
42,801 Aquamarks

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
Why buy a celery for 120 bucks when you can have a 2500 barton for 85 bucks.. and it outperforms it?

What's the point of breathing.. we have cyrix for that.

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
true , but the celery wasn't intended for the enthusiast or hobbyists market. it's a value chip for bundled pre-fab systems. it just cost $125 if you wanna buy it seperately , most people don't. they just buy the whole system, with 1yr subsrciption to MSN.

edited: besides, most people still judge cpu performance based on mhz.

Prescott 3.0E 1MB L2 HT
1GB PC 3200 Dual channel(PAT)
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
42,801 Aquamarks <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Kanavit on 07/17/04 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

ltj311

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2002
Again, what's an application specific game?

--

"I'm a rageaholic."
(<i>starts crying</i>)