Sign in with
Your question

Where can I get XP cheap?

Last response: in Windows XP
October 16, 2002 10:07:59 PM

Where can I get Microsoft Windows XP PROFESSIONAL
(note the professional... i need pro...)
and Microsoft Office XP PROFESSIONAL
(again, note professional)

for a low price, thats still retail, boxed, legal, all that (the same as if I went to CompUSA and bought it or something)

Thanks for your help

More about : cheap

October 16, 2002 10:33:23 PM

go to newegg.com or your local university bookstore and get <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=..." target="_new"> academic editions </A> they are full editions complete and legal and usually very cheap

<font color=red><b> It may be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others</font color=red></b>
October 17, 2002 4:47:27 AM

The academic version is only at certain schools. Mine doesn't offer that deal. Also, any academic software is supposed to for educational purposes only.

The cheapest way, if they're doing it legally, is to buy it with hardware and get it OEM (ie $139 at newegg). If you want retail, the price is ($299, but $278 at newegg). The retail upgrade is ($179 at best buy), which is another option.

So, expect to pay $10 less than the sticker price by buying it online, but then there might be shipping (ie $4-$7 at newegg)

<font color=red>God</font color=red> <font color=blue>Bless</font color=blue> <font color=red>America</font color=red>
Related resources
October 17, 2002 10:44:06 AM

it is legal to get it from newegg and there is no check for student or faculty status .. is IS a legal edition .. it is the upgrade but like all M$ upgrades that means a full edition that requires the presence of or the disk for a previous edition .. itis 82.00 for xp pro there <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.asp?DEPA=&submit=..." target="_new"> Newegg XP Pro </A>

<font color=red><b> It may be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others</font color=red></b>
October 17, 2002 11:55:46 AM

I just built a new computer and wanted a clean install of both programs your are talking about (My old computer had Win 98 and Office 2000). I found Googlegear had XP Pro (full, OEM version) for $143.99 and FedEx 2 day for $.50. They even give you a 24" audio cable FREE to comply with MS's OEM policy. My Office XP PRO w/Publisher (Full, OEM version) should arrive this morning from Newegg (where I bought most of my stuff). It was $292 and either free FedEx Express (3 day) or $4.00. Now you must purchase some piece of hardware with the OEM version. I wanted another 512 memory, so I bought it too, but you can buy anything, even a $3 wire!
One note on the "Student" versions...anyone can get them, but they are NOT upgradable in the future. You must eventually purchase a "real" version. But if you can use the same product for several years, then go for it! Good luck.

Cory
October 18, 2002 9:08:49 PM

I'm looking for professional though
Is professional the same as academic?
also, whats the difference between OEM and retail? Whats the difference?
October 18, 2002 9:27:15 PM

look at the link I provided it was xp pro

October 19, 2002 2:43:58 PM

First the easy question...OEM vs. Retail: The Retail version is the one you would buy in a store...pretty box, full instruction manual, and cables/wires (if needed). The OEM version is the kind that Dell/Gateway buy in bulk and load on their computers. It is the same program, but usually comes only in shrink wrap with the CD "key" right on the wrap or attached to the cardboard holder. The are usually minimal or no instructions (you can get those on the website) and your probably won't get any cables (for drives, etc). I just bought the OEM Office XP Pro w/Publisher and Windows XP Professional.

Pro Vs. Academic: You can get an Academic version of either Office XP or Office XP Pro. The program will be the same BUT you can never upgrade the Academic version...if that doesn't bother you then get the Office XP Pro Academic version. I have never seen the Office XP Pro w/Publisher in an Academic version though. If you were asking about just Windows XP, then they are the same program and you can get the Pro version, but again, no upgrades are allowed. Good Luck!

Cory
October 19, 2002 5:41:48 PM

in the case of an M$ OS there has not been an "upgrade" since the days of dos .. instead there are endless patches and service packs which academics ARE entitled to followed by new OS releases. When I "upgraded" from win 95 to win 98 se I later found that I could do a clean and new install from the upgrade disk as long s I had any previous version of windows on a disk around. My point here is that at least for the os's (actually office also) there is no "upgrade" path as there is with other softwares that follow the pattern of say Nero with successive upgrades to a core program with full releases coming less often. There will be no windows xp ver. 1.1 for instance

!