Monster Bash Frank Table Tech Help

Hi,

I have a Monster Bash that has a problem with Frank coming down.
During the Frank Table test while the playfield is raised the test
works fine (ie. he lowers and raises). When I put the playfield down
to playing position, the Frank motor seems to stop working and the test
says "Frank down switch broken" or "Frank up switch broken" depending
on the position of Frank. Both switches seem to work fine. I am
thinking there is a problem with the motor, but I am questioning why it
works everything works fine in the playfield up position. Can anyone
help with this?

thanks
Jeff Rank

Could be a cracked solder joint or a broken wire. This can be tough to
track down. I'd probably start with re-flowing solder to the parts in
question, then following the wires back to see if there are any breaks.
Do a continuity test of the wires while the playfield is lowered vs.
raised. Just that little bit of an incline can cause wires or joints
to be stressed differently - I've seen this myself.

Good luck,

Brannon

The switches will come up in error if Frank isn't moving, I'd be looking for
what ever is loose and cutting out power to the motor. LTG :)

<surfsled@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a Monster Bash that has a problem with Frank coming down.
> During the Frank Table test while the playfield is raised the test
> works fine (ie. he lowers and raises). When I put the playfield down
> to playing position, the Frank motor seems to stop working and the test
> says "Frank down switch broken" or "Frank up switch broken" depending
> on the position of Frank. Both switches seem to work fine. I am
> thinking there is a problem with the motor, but I am questioning why it
> works everything works fine in the playfield up position. Can anyone
> help with this?
>
> thanks
> Jeff Rank

Check for a missing tooth on one of the gears? Gravity pulls the table
down. I have been able to repair the gears. If this is the problem
e-mail me your # and I will call or write what you can do. Don

I had the exact same problem with my Monster Bash. It was very
intermittent. If you have the Operations Manual, try this fix...Page
2-23..There is a cam (item 2) it has a set screw (item 23) The shaft of
the cam is keyed so that the set screw locks down onto the flat surface
of the shaft. If this set screw is loose, it will let the cam slide up
and down the shaft and make it miss the switch. It took us a long time
and some trial and errors repairs (wiring and such) before we found
this. If you need to, you can email me at fesp9421atbellsouth.net or
you can call me at 704-528-9421

dmerki@charter.net wrote:
> Check for a missing tooth on one of the gears? Gravity pulls the table
> down. I have been able to repair the gears. If this is the problem
> e-mail me your # and I will call or write what you can do. Don

Thanks for everyone's help..

The board that tells the motor when to run had a broken lead on the
copper/magnet thing attached to the board. So when the game playfield
was in the up position the lead was giving power.. when the playfield
was down the lead was hanging down and not getting juice. I took out
the board and reattatched and soldered. Frank's surgery is done. He is
recovering nicely by getting smashed by the ball again.

Jeff Rank