How to clear DHCP? If can't, suggestion!

Last response: in Networking
September 10, 2004 2:38:36 AM

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if there's an easy way to clear the DHCP client list so I
can assign different IP addresses to old devices (MAC addresses). If it's not
possible except by resetting the device back to factory default settings then I
have a suggestion, let us reset the DHCP server easily. Thanks!

--
Regards,
@Matthew

More about : clear dhcp suggestion

September 10, 2004 12:04:41 PM

The easiest way to to do a soft reset by unplugging the power & plugging
it back in. It's much easier then a factory restore as you only lose
the basestation log, time, DHCP client list, etc.

Matthew Weyer wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was just wondering if there's an easy way to clear the DHCP client list so I
> can assign different IP addresses to old devices (MAC addresses). If it's not
> possible except by resetting the device back to factory default settings then I
> have a suggestion, let us reset the DHCP server easily. Thanks!

Anonymous
September 10, 2004 12:31:57 PM

If you are using DHCP you shouldn't care what IP address is assigned to a
PC. DHCP servers tend to give out the same IP address based on the MAC
address (assuming the same IP address is still available) for a reason -
probably to accommodate people who mistakenly use the IP address to get to
the box; eg: http://192.168.0.101 etc. rather than using other ways to
identify the target - or to avoid breaking any drive mappings etc.

Anyway, if you *need* to know the IP address of a box behind a router, then
define the DHCP range differently to exclude some handfull of addresses and
assign the boxes a static IP in the unassigned range. That is why one can
define the scope of the addresses that are handed out by DHCP.

HTH

"Matthew Weyer" <comdoc818NO@SPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone,
>
> I was just wondering if there's an easy way to clear the DHCP client list
so I
> can assign different IP addresses to old devices (MAC addresses). If it's
not
> possible except by resetting the device back to factory default settings
then I
> have a suggestion, let us reset the DHCP server easily. Thanks!
>
> --
> Regards,
> @Matthew

September 10, 2004 12:31:58 PM

Thanks Kerry! Actually the only reason I want to clear the DHCP client list is
because I have a lot of people connect to my network over time and have so many
addresses on there that it's hard to tell what's what.

--
Regards,
@Matthew

"Kerry Liles" <me@privacy.net> wrote in message
> If you are using DHCP you shouldn't care what IP address is assigned to a
> PC. DHCP servers tend to give out the same IP address based on the MAC
> address (assuming the same IP address is still available) for a reason -
> probably to accommodate people who mistakenly use the IP address to get to
> the box; eg: http://192.168.0.101 etc. rather than using other ways to
> identify the target - or to avoid breaking any drive mappings etc.
>
> Anyway, if you *need* to know the IP address of a box behind a router, then
> define the DHCP range differently to exclude some handfull of addresses and
> assign the boxes a static IP in the unassigned range. That is why one can
> define the scope of the addresses that are handed out by DHCP.
>
> HTH
>

> "Matthew Weyer" <comdoc818NO@SPAMmsn.com> wrote in message
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> I was just wondering if there's an easy way to clear the DHCP client list so
>> I can assign different IP addresses to old devices (MAC addresses). If it's
>> not possible except by resetting the device back to factory default settings
>> then I have a suggestion, let us reset the DHCP server easily. Thanks!
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> @Matthew
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 1:05:22 PM

I can see that could be a hassle... Not sure MS is even accepting
suggestions anymore for their now-defunct product line (as if they ever were
accepting suggestions!). I did not mean to belittle your suggestion (now I
realize I may have given that impression after I read my own reply!! - oops,
sorry). An option to "restart" the DHCP server code would be something that
would be nice (sure beats resetting from factory and then restoring your
saved settings).

Are you sure that a power off/on recycle doesn't clear the DHCP table? I
must admit I have never looked, but I would imagine it strange that the
router would save that info in non-volatile ram... but then again...

cheers

Kerry

!