How many installs on OEM Windows 7 disc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I recently acquired a Windows 7 Home Premium OEM system builder cd and key from a friend who owns a computer shop.

my question is; how many installs can I do with this? I wanted to install on my PC as well as 3 other PC's. Thank you!

Solution
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

Solution

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator
Your OEM copy of Windows 7 is locked to the PC on which you first install it. You cannot transfer that license to another PC.
You can upgrade any components or peripherals on your PC and keep your license intact. You can replace the motherboard with an identical model or an equivalent model from the OEM if it fails. However, if you personally replace or upgrade the motherboard, your OEM Windows license is null and void.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Well it has been successfully activated online on 2 PC's so far. Why did it allow that?

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

And whats going to suck even worse.. as SR-71 said, it'll be deactivated and possibly deemed as a piracy license. Then you get 1 OEM license on 0 pcs :D. Remove it from one.

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Well isn't that the pits. I don't have the money to buy Windows 7 for all of my Pc's. This is why piracy is so high with Windows, it's just easier to do that (although I don't condone or support it).

unoriginal1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2012

Use linux it's free. (but i agree with you the cost of software is a bit ridiculous. Same could be said for movies, games etc etc.)

zackb101

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011

Linux is great, but it doesn't natively support nearly enough of the programs I use, which is honestly disappointing because I would switch in a heartbeat.

Status
Not open for further replies.