U2410 or other? (game and 3D work)

GasValve

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I find it exceedingly difficult to choose a new monitor. I have been eyeing the Dell UltraSharp U2410. I will use it mostly for gaming but I still want something with nice colors for 3D texture work. Would the U2410 be too slow for gaming? I mostly play fast paced games and I am currently on an old SyncMaster 225BW. Though I'm not into uber competative play by any means.
It just irks me to read a review of a TN panel and read things like "yea, it's nice for games but the colors are crap"... can't really bring myself to go for that... even though I'm on an old TN panel and have been for ages.

Any recommendations or thoughts?

The Dell should be fine. While it's 6ms response time is not as low as some TN panel monitors with 2ms response times, it should be good anyway. In gaming mode the input lag is about 14ms under 1 frame of lag (1 frame - 16.67ms) and again it is not bad either. Some TN panel monitors have as low s 2ms of input lag. I don't know how your 225BW measures up.

The good thing about the U2410 is that it's colors are pre-calibrated, but it can be improved upon if you buy your own colorimeter and calibrate it yourself. But that also means spending more money and the good colorimeters basically start at over $100.

Here's a review:
http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2410.htm

GasValve

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for your reply. Yea I've read that review, only I thought maybe I could get a more of a day to day observation :p.
If one wouldn't go for something like that, what would be the sort of "best" TN beast? Seeing as they're generally cheaper, maybe I could go for a really high end TN instead...