Crazy Zire 31-full story so far.

December 15, 2004 3:05:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops.pilot,comp.sys.palmtops,comp.sys.palmtops.pilot (More info?)

Zire 31 going crazy!!

Monday, December 13, 2004-pm
My Zire 31 started acting REALLY weird!
My daughter was playing games on it, next I saw, there was a "stack" error
message and Palm wasn't responding to stylus at all.
I thought nothing of it thinking a soft reset would fix it.
Palm returned to the Preferences screen . Didn't help
Warm reset didn't help. Same thing.
Hard reset.the first time I tried, I got to the "erase all data" message,
pushed, up, Palm returned to the Preferences screen without doing a hard
reset.
Also, the hard buttons are working and the arrow buttons are working, but
not the middle button. It won't power up the Palm and it won't return to the
home screen if I hold the middle button down.
The power off button is working, it tries to run Backup Buddy (as it is set
up to do) but BB hangs and the palm never gets to the point of turning off.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004-am
I know the hard reset didn't happen because all my data is still there in
Datebook5. DB% turns on with one of my hard buttons
This morning with the first usual alarm, it turned itself on, gave a pitiful
little beep and the error DateBk5 Information (on te title bar of the error
window) and Current Stack Size 5119 )text of the rrror msg) with an OK
button. Palm still not responding to stylus, though.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004-11 pm
I removed the memory card, turned off the Palm. Reinserted the memory card
and Palm turned on to the programs on the card!! I then was able to navigate
to the home screen using the navigator button, tried to open the Photo
program, Photos didn't come up.....blank white scree.........tried a soft,
then warm reset, still a blank screen, then an alarm went off, I think, and
DateBook5 came up on screen. No hard buttons or navigator buttons are
working at this point..
I'm getting low memory messages now, so I think I'll let it drain and see
what happens from there.
Palm turned off in 3 mins as it it set to do, and hard buttons and navigtaor
buttons are now working!
Too weird!!
How long will it take to drain completely to effect a hard reset??

Tuesday, December 14, 2004-11 pm
I'm getting low memory messages, so it's VERY low. I can't do the card thing
to access my apps anymore, because batt is so low.
Tuesday, December 14, 2004-midnight
Now getting VERY low batt messages
Now getting EXTREMELY low batt message
OK Palm turned itself off and will not power on.
How long should I wait until I charge it?
And how long should I charge it for?? Overnight?

And after all this it still might not be OK but it's been interesting to say
the least!!

More about : crazy zire full story

Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:26:11 AM

Lisa Hetherington wrote:
> How long will it take to drain completely to effect a hard reset??

Good question. Probably just powering the memory will take MUCH
less power than powering the device enough to turn it on. So,
even well past the point where it won't turn on, there could be
enough juice to keep the memory contents intact. (Normally that's
a good thing!)

> How long should I wait until I charge it?
> And how long should I charge it for?? Overnight?
>
> And after all this it still might not be OK but it's been interesting to say
> the least!!

I would wait a while. Overnight might not be enough, but it's
hard to say.

One thing you can try is to leave it overnight then connect the
thing up to power not to charge it but just to turn it on and see
whether it has reset. If you plug it in and then do a soft
reset a minute or so later, I believe it should come up. If it
does come up and the data isn't erased, then remove it from the
cradle, and you will have only charged it for 2 minutes or something,
so you can leave it another day or so.

Another totally different idea is to do a soft reset and the
immediately do a hard reset after it gets to the preferences
screen.

My guess is that what's happened to your Palm is that something
has leaked a huge amount of memory. If I recall correctly, there
are some memory leaks that even a soft reset will not fix (such
as using "feature memory" to store temporary stuff). It wouldn't
be surprising at all if a game is using feature memory, since
games tend to require lots of resources.

- Logan
Anonymous
December 15, 2004 11:44:54 AM

Lisa Hetherington <gerry.lisa@sympatico.ca> wrote:
> Zire 31 going crazy!!
>
> Monday, December 13, 2004-pm
> My Zire 31 started acting REALLY weird!
> My daughter was playing games on it, next I saw, there was a "stack"
> error message and Palm wasn't responding to stylus at all.
> I thought nothing of it thinking a soft reset would fix it.
> Palm returned to the Preferences screen . Didn't help
> Warm reset didn't help. Same thing.
> Hard reset.the first time I tried, I got to the "erase all data"
> message, pushed, up, Palm returned to the Preferences screen without
> doing a hard reset.
> Also, the hard buttons are working and the arrow buttons are working,
> but not the middle button. It won't power up the Palm and it won't
> return to the home screen if I hold the middle button down.
> The power off button is working, it tries to run Backup Buddy (as it
> is set up to do) but BB hangs and the palm never gets to the point of
> turning off.

Looks to me like your daughter jammed the middle button, and this is what's
causing the rest of your grieves. A stuck button can very well cause buffer
overflows, prevent other key presses from being registered (or being
registered as the wrong key), and lots of other symptoms. A hard reset will
not fix this. Try holding the device upside down and flick the back and
sides a few times (obvious disclaimer: Don't do it too hard, don't break
it, it's your responsibility and not mine). Try blowing canned air at all
the buttons. If none of this helps, you may have to send the device to Palm
for repairs, and your daughter to the gypsies.

Regards,
--
*Art
!