Question about A+ Certification

oolceeoo

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2004
Hello. Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm not sure where I'd post this. I just passed the A+ OS Technologies 2003 exam and now I'm A+ Certified.

But now I'm a little lost as to what to do with this certificate. I've built 4 computers in my life, helped out people with their PC's, read up on the latest tech, and have used computers (Mostly PC and a LITTLE MAC) for about 11 years (I'm 21). I also go to college for a Computer Science degree and have 2 years left. I know C,C++, Pascal, and Java.

The problem is my current job stinks. I need to find another job and figured why don't I get certified so it makes it easier to get a computer related job.

Does anyone have any tips for getting into the IT industry?

P4C 3.0ghz
Asus P4C800E-D
GeForceFX 5900 Ultra 256MB
2x512 MB corsair dual channel pc3200
200GB WDJB HDD
Nothing OC'd

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
YOu must start with crappy job! Like help desk, phone support, etc... Send your resume to small PC store near you you might get a "system builder" job. Things like that! You can't become network admin or system admin on day 1. I'm in the telecomm business since 1997 and it took me 3 1/2 year to get a decent job!

--
Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Do you not have do to a 'Work Placement' year - i.e. you have to get a job (on low wages) with a software firm, or something like that? If you do, you could try to impress whoever you work with enough to get a permanent place with them. My brother did that for his computer science degree.

You don't mention any database stuff. A large number of Software jobs will involve at least some database programming. A good working knowledge of SQL would be a useful skill.

Also knowing Visual C++, or possibly Delphi (since you know Pascal) would be good.

If you enjoy the hardware side, then try to get a job with some small local hardware place (as TheRod suggests). With any luck you might end up helping with tech support for some local I.T. firm, and impress them enough to offer you a job!

I would also say that the best way to get noticed & rise up the ladder would be to work for a smaller firm - this <i>could</i> mean less job security (as obviously a smaller firm is more susceptible to going belly-up), but it also means your contribution is much more noticeable. In a really huge firm, you're just another number on the payroll.

---
Epox 8RDA+ V1.1 w/ Custom NB HS
XP1700+ @200x10 (~2Ghz), 1.4 Vcore
2x256Mb Corsair PC3200LL 2-2-2-4
Sapphire 9800Pro @412/740