Chuckaroo

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
I just purchased a HP a465C Pavilion PC with the new
Intel P4E 3.0G processor.My question is this,when I went into hardware, device manager and click on the processors
icon.It shows the system as having 2 identical Intel P4E
3.0G processors.I contacted HP about this but they just
said everything was fine an this does not effect anything.
But I still would like an answer to why under processors
it shows 2 of them? No one seems to have any answers.
I think I may have read of this somewere before but I;m not sure.Could someone please enlighten me if they have
ever seen this before, I would greatly appreciate any
information someone may have on this, and maybe how to correct it.HP told me to just try resetting the bios
defaults, but that did not correct the 2 processors showing up again.
thank you
Chuck

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by chuckaroo on 07/23/04 05:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Dual-channel enabled INTEL processors show up that way in XP. It is perfectly normal. Somebody smarter than me can enlighten you further. :smile:

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

etp777

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2004
It's nothing to do with DUal channel.

THis is the much vaunted, but not all that often used, Hyperthreading. This allows your single physical processor to emulate two logical processors and process two threads at the same time.

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Not all that often used?

No, I think you underestimate HT's power when multitasking. It is very often the case that HT can make your computing experience much smoother. And even in numbers, I have access to some HT-enabled Xeons and I can tell you that multi-threading really makes them shine when compared to non-HT solutions... HT is not that easily dismissable. It's interesting technology.

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
yay, we have the same cpu! i just bought my 3.0e about a week ago. i upgraded from a 2.8B P4, after i installed my 3.0e HT, Windows xp detected hyperthreading and installed software drivers for it. afterwards, I had to restart computer, and reloaded windows. Now i have 2 virtual cpus in task manager, and device manager.

Prescott 3.0E 1MB L2 HT
1GB PC 3200 Dual channel(PAT)
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
57,397 Aquamarks

WTF? Dual channel, you're way off the mark with that one. lol

<font color=blue><font color=red>Milk</font color=red> my <font color=red>ass</font color=red>, and call me <font color=red>Nancy</font color=red>!</font color=blue>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Go pack sand, Ned! I'm getting old and crotchety! Ehhhhhh?
:smile:

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!

Chuckaroo

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2004
This is only the second time I've posted on Tom's Hardware site and I'm very impressed, and greatly appreciate everyone's insite into my P4E3.0 HT processor 2 showing
questions.I'm tempted to relate to that this may just be the way WindowsXP can relate at present to this processor.
I've even dug around the Intel site for information that
may enlighten me on this issue, but still no real documented statements about it showing up twice always.
I even found it has 2 entries of a P4E 3.0 when I go
into Windows System Information, which in the past I've found that point of reference on system stuff to be very accurate? At this point I really tend to think the driver
from Intel, and the operating system from micro-suck just
don't see eye to eye on this version of P4E 3.0G H.T. just
yet.Once again thanks to all whom have responded to the post, I'll keep on digging around and see what I can come up with about it.
Chuck

endyen

Splendid
Perhaps we were not clear enough. Hyperthreading is when the chip creates a virtual chip, to share the load. The two chips you are seeing is your real chip, and the virtual chip.
Since a chip is seldom able to keep itself busy 100% of the time, this is a way of getting more work out of one chip.

All Intel processors with Hyperthreading (HT) will show up in Windows XP as TWO processors... as long as hyperthreading is enabled. This is not a driver bug or conflict... this is the way it is and should be.

Now, hyperthreading can be disabled and the OS will only show one processor in that instance. However, it's highly unlikely that HP will allow you to disable hyperthreading in their BIOS.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

G

They actually let you, Ive had to setup a few WS from Hp with HT cpus and they come with a note telling you how to disable it for compatibility reason(for crappy old software that dont like smt's).
You can also in task manager under the view tab I think select view graph as one CPU. Im not on my Ht machine so cant tell you the exact way...

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0