Confused w/ MN 700 and adsl

I haven't got my connection yet but im confused as to how i can set up
the network round my house.

I'll have an MN-700, an adsl modem and a connection.

I'm not sure how to connect it all, as something has to dial in to the
connection before it is active. Can the router prompt the modem to do
this?

Or will i have to connect the modem to a computer, dial up on that,
and then share that connection through the router.

joker

I've never heard of a DSL connection that uses a standard dialup
connection. This makes it so I have to ask these three questions.
Answer them & I can help you better.

Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?

What country are you in?

What operating system(s) are we dealing with?

Arun Hallan wrote:

> I haven't got my connection yet but im confused as to how i can set up
> the network round my house.
>
> I'll have an MN-700, an adsl modem and a connection.
>
> I'm not sure how to connect it all, as something has to dial in to the
> connection before it is active. Can the router prompt the modem to do
> this?
>
> Or will i have to connect the modem to a computer, dial up on that,
> and then share that connection through the router.

Well, many implementations of ADSL force the customers to run client
software (that typically makes a PPPoE connection for example) and often
that software is 'dumbed down' to *look* like it is something like the old
style dial modem type connection...

Anyway, as we all know and understand, the phone line connects to the ADSL
modem, there is an ethernet cable between the ADSL Modem and the router
(MN-700) WAN port. Then, other computers can connect wirelessly or via an
ethernet cable to the MN-700. That is the basic setup.

The MN-700 has to be configured (in advance) as per the User Guide to give
the connection credentials to the ADSL service (this is typically the
username or user subscriber number and the associated password)... then the
MN-700 does what the user used to do with the client software package on the
PC (which is no longer needed by the way).

HTH

joker <no-spam@netzero.com> wrote in message news:<#z508T5lEHA.952@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>...
> I've never heard of a DSL connection that uses a standard dialup
> connection. This makes it so I have to ask these three questions.
> Answer them & I can help you better.
>
> Who is your ISP (Internet Service Provider)?
>
> What country are you in?
>
> What operating system(s) are we dealing with?
>
> Arun Hallan wrote:
>
> > I haven't got my connection yet but im confused as to how i can set up
> > the network round my house.
> >
> > I'll have an MN-700, an adsl modem and a connection.
> >
> > I'm not sure how to connect it all, as something has to dial in to the
> > connection before it is active. Can the router prompt the modem to do
> > this?
> >
> > Or will i have to connect the modem to a computer, dial up on that,
> > and then share that connection through the router.

Sorry...

.... i only say "dial-up" because the only adsl connection that i have
seen was made to dial up the connection before using it.

I've only had a cable connection at home which didnt cause these kind
of problems.

To answer your Qs, im going to get bulldog, im in the UK, and ive got
XP.

If its the case that i dont have to dial up to the adsl then all is
good.

joker

Are you on a PPPoA or PPPoE connection?

If you are on a PPPoA connection unless it also supports PPPoE (not
likely in Europe) You can not connect using the MN-100, MN-500, or MN-700.

Also since you are not in one of the two supported countries namely the
USA & Canada, Microsoft will not support you.

I know nothing about your ISP because I only know the major ISP's in the
USA & Canada.

So if you are on a PPPoE connection (they don't do that very often in
Europe from what I've heard) Configure the MN-700 to do your PPPoE
connection & uninstall any third party software, but if it's a PPPoA
connection that doesn't support PPPoE the hardware will never work for you.