Solved

Help choosing a computer.

I need a computer that can play games and causal internet use. It needs to last about maybe 2-3 years before requiring an upgrade.

I don't know if I need a good graphic card because there is not going to be hardcore gaming. The games will probably be sims and some flash games. All played in low-mid graphic settings.

It's for my mother and I haven't decided if laptop or desktop would be better. I want her to have mobility but at the same time be able to keep up with technology for the next 2-3 years. I don't want to tell her to get a hardcore gaming machine but then again I don't want to get her soemthing that will be outdated in 2-3 years.

I would perfer a laptop but if a desktop is better option for price/upgrade/speed then that is perfered.

Any thoughts? Thanks
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help choosing computer
  1. Although you can no doubt build something nicer for your mom, unless you plan on providing any/all support, this may be a case where a reasonably equipped Dell may be appropriate. Of course, you're likely to get all her software support calls anyway :-). She could probably get by on 785G/790G AMD integrated graphics, but the ability to add a GPU later should be included. Because it will include the OS and take advantage of volume buying, the price will be a lot lower than what you'd spend to build it, although you'll need to sweep it of poopware.
  2. Yeah I agree, I'll leave room for upgradablity for GPU.

What about processor recommendations?
  3. Krosh said:
    I need a computer that can play games and causal internet use. It needs to last about maybe 2-3 years before requiring an upgrade.

I don't know if I need a good graphic card because there is not going to be hardcore gaming. The games will probably be sims and some flash games. All played in low-mid graphic settings.

It's for my mother and I haven't decided if laptop or desktop would be better. I want her to have mobility but at the same time be able to keep up with technology for the next 2-3 years. I don't want to tell her to get a hardcore gaming machine but then again I don't want to get her soemthing that will be outdated in 2-3 years.

I would perfer a laptop but if a desktop is better option for price/upgrade/speed then that is perfered.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Hi there,

I recommend you check out the Dell Studio 15. It has a fast processor, 4 GB of RAM, and 500 GB of hard drive space. It is great for basic tasks and for watching DVDs and listening to music. It is also very affordable at $649. What do you think?

Cheers,
    Isabella
    MSFT Windows Outreach Team
  4. I would agree with Isabella, very nice system and very affordable.
  5. Thank you Isabella and Nate

Between the I5 and I7, do you think the I5 is enough for casual gaming with the 2-3 years of future in mind?
  6. The Studio 16s are great value but being a laptop doesn't have the "price/upgrade/speed" of a desktop.
  7. Best answer
    Krosh said:
    Thank you Isabella and Nate

Between the I5 and I7, do you think the I5 is enough for casual gaming with the 2-3 years of future in mind?

Hi there,

The i5 should be powerful enough for casual gaming. Many power-gaming laptops have i7 processors but those laptops function more as desktop replacements. If you will be doing graphics-intense gaming, the GPU is very important.

Cheers,
    Isabella
    MSFT Windows Outreach Team
  8. Thank you Isabella and everyone. Much appreciated.
  9. Best answer selected by krosh.
Ask a new question

Read More

Computer Games Laptops