athlon 64 problems PLZ HELP!!

thejackel007

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2004
my athlon64 is very slow. i build it up myself. brand new. no jumpers on board. its a epox motherboard (k8t800),3000+ processor, 512DDR400, Windows xp sp1. My processor speed ran at 2000+, after i installed a 64processor driver it ran graet at a spead of 3000+.Then i ran pcmark2002 and it benced 18000.5 min later my pc made a load "click, click" sound. So i restarted the pc, then i knew something went wrong. So i benced it again, the resalts was (6000) eversince its VERY slow!no one in the erea knows athlon 64!

In my BIOS settings, my Mhz is running at 200x10 while my motherboard's manual clearly says that the setting can and should be enabled to run at 200x15 for maximem performance.Every time i enter the setting 200x15 it outomaticaly adjusts to 200x10.What could be wrong??

IIB

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2001
I would check the following things:
1. Your CPU temps, clock speed and fan speeds (using your a monitoring utilty that you may have recived with your mother board) - the click sound could have come from a malefunctioning cpu fan. as a result your CPU would underclock.

2. your HD might have malefunctioned and windows automatcly set it's IDE controler transfer mode to PIO mode insted of Ultra DMA. this would result in a loss of aproximtly 90% of your hard drive preformance... to check your IDE controler mode do the following:
Click Start -> select the control panel -> double click the system icon -> chose the "hardware" tab -> click on the "device manager" button -> expand (+) the "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" thread -> right click the "Primary IDE Channel" and select properties select "advanced settings" tab and check your transfer mode.

If one of these seem to be your problem post again so we can help you fix it.
if not we'll think of somthing new.

This post is best viewed with common sense enabled

Obtuse

Distinguished
May 21, 2004
3000+ is the <b>performance rating</b>, meaning your processor performs comparably to an intel processor clocked at 3.0Ghz. The A64 3000+ is supposed to run at 2.0.Ghz, so your initial motherboard settings were correct. Furthermore, that processor is multiplier locked, so your FSB multiplier is going to be 10 or less no matter what you do. I would look somewhere else for the problem.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl