XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility

Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
getting an error message regarding compatibility with
Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?
12 answers Last reply
More about service pack compatibility

    Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
    connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections on
    operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP is the
    first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.

    Justin Lowman wrote:
    > Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
    > getting an error message regarding compatibility with
    > Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
    > possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
    > persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
    > considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?

    Have you installed the latest update for the Wireless
    software?

    Go here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_DLoadMain.mspx

    and download the latest software(drivers, firmware, Utility, etc.). Install
    it. Try again.

    Don't ever say "I have followed all steps possible to resolve the problem."
    If this were
    so, you wouldn't need to ask the question here. This is also why you got
    such a sharp
    answer from other posters.

    On the CPU problem. The first thing to do is to scan for viruses and
    spyware.

    Dick Kistler

    joker wrote:
    > Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
    > connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections
    > on operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP
    > is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.

    While I would agree with you that XP natively supports wireless, and
    SP2 works better than SP1, I still have observed very peculiar behavior
    from the XP SP2 wireless software.

    For instance, sometimes my laptop computer doesn't connect to my
    wireless network on bootup(icon with x on it in system tray). Open
    wireless connections, applet shows I'm connected. Disconnect. Reconnect.
    Icon in system tray shows connection. Wireless applet says there are
    no wireless networks to connect to. Actually I am connected and
    proceed to do my network business. So the bugs are not quite fixed
    in XP SP2 wireless networking. However it still seems to be more
    reliable than SP1a.

    Dick Kistler

    "Dick Kistler" <dickkist@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote:
    >> joker wrote:
    >> Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
    >> connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections
    >> on operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP
    >> is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.

    > While I would agree with you that XP natively supports wireless, and
    > SP2 works better than SP1, I still have observed very peculiar behavior
    > from the XP SP2 wireless software.

    > For instance, sometimes my laptop computer doesn't connect to my
    > wireless network on bootup(icon with x on it in system tray). Open
    > wireless connections, applet shows I'm connected. Disconnect. Reconnect.
    > Icon in system tray shows connection. Wireless applet says there are
    > no wireless networks to connect to. Actually I am connected and
    > proceed to do my network business. So the bugs are not quite fixed
    > in XP SP2 wireless networking. However it still seems to be more
    > reliable than SP1a.

    I guess a lot depends on your hardware. I've experienced better reliability
    with my wireless setup (MN 700, MN 720) with SP2 installed than SP1. With
    the exception of a somewhat poorly implemented (my opinion) driver for the
    MN 720, everything else is working real well. I'm sure you'll eventually
    work out the glitches.

    BTW, this service pack (XP SP2) is the most dramatic and widely complained
    about since the infamous SP2 for NT 4.

    try it with Linux????

    "Justin Lowman" <jlowman3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
    > getting an error message regarding compatibility with
    > Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
    > possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
    > persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
    > considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?

    I don't understand. Please advise. Thanks.

    If you mean the software that came with your MN-xxx,
    uninstall it.

    SP2 has excellent Wifi configuration utility.
    Far better than MBN or previous WinXp utility.

    "Graham" <Grahammtripps@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
    2qefgbFu8vd3U1@uni-berlin.de...
    > try it with Linux????
    >
    > "Justin Lowman" <jlowman3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    >> Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
    >> getting an error message regarding compatibility with
    >> Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
    >> possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
    >> persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
    >> considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    He's being sarcastic. Since the hardware doesn't even stand a chance of
    working on linux.

    Justin Lowman wrote:
    > I don't understand. Please advise. Thanks.

  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    What network card do you have?

    Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for your wireless nic card?
    Most problems are usually solved by that.

    --
    Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

    Find out about the MS MVP Program -

    "Dick Kistler" <dickkist@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > joker wrote:
    >> Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
    >> connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections
    >> on operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP
    >> is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.
    >>

    > While I would agree with you that XP natively supports wireless, and
    > SP2 works better than SP1, I still have observed very peculiar behavior
    > from the XP SP2 wireless software.
    >
    > For instance, sometimes my laptop computer doesn't connect to my
    > wireless network on bootup(icon with x on it in system tray). Open
    > wireless connections, applet shows I'm connected. Disconnect. Reconnect.
    > Icon in system tray shows connection. Wireless applet says there are
    > no wireless networks to connect to. Actually I am connected and
    > proceed to do my network business. So the bugs are not quite fixed
    > in XP SP2 wireless networking. However it still seems to be more
    > reliable than SP1a.
    >
    > Dick Kistler

  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Jason Tsang wrote:
    > What network card do you have?
    >
    > Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for your wireless nic
    > card? Most problems are usually solved by that.

    Using MN-720 with the latest drivers. Hey, I'm not really
    complaining. The XP software seems to work better as
    advertised. It just doesn't seem to know that it is doing
    the right thing itself. And it does connect more often than the
    SP1 software did. In almost 5 weeks, I have had to go
    through this disconnect/reconnect cycle twice. Both times
    this was all it took to actually reconnect me. With SP1(and
    older MN720 drivers), it was not uncommon(read maybe
    every few days) to have to go through several disconnect/
    reconnect cycles, and usually remove and reinsert the
    network card to get a solid reconnection.

    Dick Kistler
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    The sarcasm was easy enough to recognize, I was just
    hoping someone here might be able to offer useful advice
    on how to resolve this very annoying problem.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

    Stop using the broadband network utility on Windows XP. IT only
    supports WEP while the Windows XP "Wireless Zero Configuration Service"
    also support WPA & it can remember multiple wireless network
    configurations, While the BNU only supports WEP & can only remember one
    network configuration.

    Justin Lowman wrote:
    > The sarcasm was easy enough to recognize, I was just
    > hoping someone here might be able to offer useful advice
    > on how to resolve this very annoying problem.

Routers Windows XP Microsoft Compatibility Networking