XP Service Pack 2 Compatibility

Last response: in Networking
September 10, 2004 4:55:20 PM

Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
getting an error message regarding compatibility with
Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?
September 10, 2004 10:08:00 PM

Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections on
operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP is the
first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.

Justin Lowman wrote:

> Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
> getting an error message regarding compatibility with
> Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
> possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
> persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
> considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 11:22:39 PM

Justin Lowman wrote:
> Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
> getting an error message regarding compatibility with
> Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
> possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
> persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
> considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?

Have you installed the latest update for the Wireless
software?

Go here:
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/1...

and download the latest software(drivers, firmware, Utility, etc.). Install
it. Try again.

Don't ever say "I have followed all steps possible to resolve the problem."
If this were
so, you wouldn't need to ask the question here. This is also why you got
such a sharp
answer from other posters.

On the CPU problem. The first thing to do is to scan for viruses and
spyware.

Dick Kistler
September 11, 2004 12:54:03 AM

joker wrote:
> Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
> connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections
> on operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP
> is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.

While I would agree with you that XP natively supports wireless, and
SP2 works better than SP1, I still have observed very peculiar behavior
from the XP SP2 wireless software.

For instance, sometimes my laptop computer doesn't connect to my
wireless network on bootup(icon with x on it in system tray). Open
wireless connections, applet shows I'm connected. Disconnect. Reconnect.
Icon in system tray shows connection. Wireless applet says there are
no wireless networks to connect to. Actually I am connected and
proceed to do my network business. So the bugs are not quite fixed
in XP SP2 wireless networking. However it still seems to be more
reliable than SP1a.

Dick Kistler
September 11, 2004 12:54:04 AM

"Dick Kistler" <dickkist@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote:
>> joker wrote:
>> Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
>> connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections
>> on operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP
>> is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.

> While I would agree with you that XP natively supports wireless, and
> SP2 works better than SP1, I still have observed very peculiar behavior
> from the XP SP2 wireless software.

> For instance, sometimes my laptop computer doesn't connect to my
> wireless network on bootup(icon with x on it in system tray). Open
> wireless connections, applet shows I'm connected. Disconnect. Reconnect.
> Icon in system tray shows connection. Wireless applet says there are
> no wireless networks to connect to. Actually I am connected and
> proceed to do my network business. So the bugs are not quite fixed
> in XP SP2 wireless networking. However it still seems to be more
> reliable than SP1a.

I guess a lot depends on your hardware. I've experienced better reliability
with my wireless setup (MN 700, MN 720) with SP2 installed than SP1. With
the exception of a somewhat poorly implemented (my opinion) driver for the
MN 720, everything else is working real well. I'm sure you'll eventually
work out the glitches.

BTW, this service pack (XP SP2) is the most dramatic and widely complained
about since the infamous SP2 for NT 4.
September 11, 2004 1:01:14 AM

try it with Linux????

"Justin Lowman" <jlowman3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
> getting an error message regarding compatibility with
> Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
> possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
> persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
> considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:01:15 AM

I don't understand. Please advise. Thanks.

September 11, 2004 1:01:15 AM

If you mean the software that came with your MN-xxx,
uninstall it.

SP2 has excellent Wifi configuration utility.
Far better than MBN or previous WinXp utility.

"Graham" <Grahammtripps@hotmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
2qefgbFu8vd3U1@uni-berlin.de...
> try it with Linux????
>
> "Justin Lowman" <jlowman3@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> Since installing the recent Service Pack for XP, I keep
>> getting an error message regarding compatibility with
>> Microsoft Broadband Networking. I have followed all steps
>> possible to resolve the problem, yet the error message
>> persists as well as the performance of my CPU has dropped
>> considerably. Is there a memory leak too!?

September 11, 2004 1:01:16 AM

He's being sarcastic. Since the hardware doesn't even stand a chance of
working on linux.

Justin Lowman wrote:
> I don't understand. Please advise. Thanks.

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 1:27:35 AM

What network card do you have?

Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for your wireless nic card?
Most problems are usually solved by that.

--
Jason Tsang - Microsoft MVP

Find out about the MS MVP Program -

"Dick Kistler" <dickkist@nospam-hotmail.com> wrote in message
> joker wrote:
>> Uninstall the software & use Windows XP to configure your network
>> connection. The BNU is only needed to configure wireless connections
>> on operating systems that don't fully support wireless. Windows XP
>> is the first OS from Microsoft to fully support wireless networking.
>>

> While I would agree with you that XP natively supports wireless, and
> SP2 works better than SP1, I still have observed very peculiar behavior
> from the XP SP2 wireless software.
>
> For instance, sometimes my laptop computer doesn't connect to my
> wireless network on bootup(icon with x on it in system tray). Open
> wireless connections, applet shows I'm connected. Disconnect. Reconnect.
> Icon in system tray shows connection. Wireless applet says there are
> no wireless networks to connect to. Actually I am connected and
> proceed to do my network business. So the bugs are not quite fixed
> in XP SP2 wireless networking. However it still seems to be more
> reliable than SP1a.
>
> Dick Kistler

Anonymous
September 11, 2004 2:48:50 AM

Jason Tsang wrote:
> What network card do you have?
>
> Do you have the latest firmware and drivers for your wireless nic
> card? Most problems are usually solved by that.

Using MN-720 with the latest drivers. Hey, I'm not really
complaining. The XP software seems to work better as
advertised. It just doesn't seem to know that it is doing
the right thing itself. And it does connect more often than the
SP1 software did. In almost 5 weeks, I have had to go
through this disconnect/reconnect cycle twice. Both times
this was all it took to actually reconnect me. With SP1(and
older MN720 drivers), it was not uncommon(read maybe
every few days) to have to go through several disconnect/
reconnect cycles, and usually remove and reinsert the
network card to get a solid reconnection.

Dick Kistler
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 6:47:15 PM

The sarcasm was easy enough to recognize, I was just
hoping someone here might be able to offer useful advice
on how to resolve this very annoying problem.

September 12, 2004 10:13:00 PM

Stop using the broadband network utility on Windows XP. IT only
supports WEP while the Windows XP "Wireless Zero Configuration Service"
also support WPA & it can remember multiple wireless network
configurations, While the BNU only supports WEP & can only remember one
network configuration.

!