Should system specs impact my choice? 120hz vs 27"

mcalc55

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hey guys, just needed some advice on making an upgrade to my monitor - I currently have the LG w2252tq - (22.5 incher). It seems to be pretty good I guess, not crazy about the TN aspect but since I use it almost 90% for games I should probably stay away from the IPS.

I'm currently looking at either the Asus vg236H or Alienware Optix - how much of a difference would a 120hz make if my computer currently can't hit the 120 FPS mark to 'see' the smoothness in games? Would it still be a worth while upgrade?
My system specs are below...I Hit about 50 fps on crysis 2 with everything cranked up, and about 35 on Fear 3 using FRAPS

or

The Asus VE278Q I think I would really also value the 27inch real estate as well but I'm not sure my system can handle the increase in resolution requirements.

Should my system specs make this decision?

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
6.00 GB
2x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 SLI
700 Gig 7200 RPM HDD
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

jeremy160

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011

If you really want a monitor that literally has the best of both worlds, get the Samsung S27A950D.
It is a 27" 120Hz TN monitor, however it only has resolution of 1920 x 1080.
Not many ergonomic options though.
Best of all it comes with 3D glasses in case you want to play in 3D for fun.
It is coming to US, it is out in Canada I believe.

just because you play games doesnt mean you cannot use an ips monitor. i played fast paced fps games on a 16ms monitor for years without a single issue. ips will offer you the best picture and best viewing angles. the only real negative is the high price.

the only reason i'd say go for a 120hz is if you plan on doing some 3d gaming. if not just go with a standard 60hz (unless 120 is your only option). your pc outputs at 60hz anyways unless you used both dvi ports.

you didnt mention what your current resolution was. at 22 inches i'd guess between 1280x1024 and 1920x1080. i cant look up what pixel by pixel resolution the monitors you are looking at have but i can tell you that if you increased by maybe 30-50% in resolution your framerate would also drop considerably. as it is, 50 and 33 are considered low, if you increased it might make fear3 feel "laggy"

if you are determined to play games on a high resolution monitor then you will need a system capable of powering it. depending on the age of your pc all you might need is a video card upgrade, but without details that is all i can say.

short answer: system specs impact your choice, in fact it is one of the main things to consider.