Strange problem burning DVD movies, any help?

superhands

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
Hi all, I'm having a problem burning DVD movies that I'm hoping someone can help me with as I'm stumped as to what's wrong...

I used to have no problems at all, I could burn AVI files to DVD just fine and they would play on any DVD player. Now All of a sudden I can still burn them but they aren't recognised by any DVD or Blu-Ray player I've tried.
I was running on XP when the problem first started occuring, so I installed Windows 7 on another HDD and am now running in dual-boot. I tried burning a movie on Windows 7 with a few different programs, same result each time - no error reports what-so-ever but the disc is not recognised by any player other than my computer.
I can still burn DVD data discs and my drive is functioning correctly in all other ways. I thoguht there might be something wrong with my drive though so I bought a new one and installed it, only to find the same problem occuring.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really confused as to what the problem is.

superhands

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2011
I have 2 different DVD drives now, one IDE and one newer SATA model. I'm using the same brand of DVD-Rs that I've always used. The discs have always worked on all of the DVD players in my house and my Blu-Ray player, so why they're not being recognised all of a sudden is completely beyond me. I can normally figure out these sort of problems myself as I have good computer knowledge, but I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail. Windows reports that both drives are working fine and I get no error reports, the DVDs work on my PC still but the players just aren't recognising them.