Sign in with
Your question

Question about laptop processor

Last response: in CPUs
July 27, 2004 4:55:18 AM

I am trying to help my room mate order his laptop with dell and I really don't keep up with intel news (I have a A64 3200+ myself) so their new naming scheme confuses me a little. I know that the higher the first digit the better, but will a Pentium M 705 (clocked at 1.5 ghz) really outperform a Mobile Pentium 4 at 2.8 ghz? That just doesn't seem right to me, no matter how good the new M tech. is. Anyways, I am confused about the new naming scheme meshes with the old clock speeds (for reasons above) and I just wanted to ask everyone's opinion. Thanks.
July 27, 2004 7:42:44 AM

> I know that the higher the first digit the better

Not performance wise.. the first number is rather insignificant, its just a cpu family. The two last numbers are not much more significant either, the relate to "features and performance" in some vague ununderstandable way. Ignore the product numbers if you can, they seem designed to confuse. And no a P-M 1.5 will not outperform a 2.8, though it would come close as you might think and have a significant better battery life.

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my wife. =
July 27, 2004 11:02:02 AM

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=212..." target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=212...;/A>

This article will gives you some clue and information about Dothan performance vs AMD64 and Desktop P4. Usually Dothan can be compared to AMD64 rating (depending on apps. AMD64 or Dothan exchange first place). So a Dothan 1.6GHz would be comparable to a Athlon 64 2600+, it's not an 100% correct comparison, but it's very close to reality.

--
Asus A7N8X / <font color=green><b>AMD Sempron 2800+</b></font color=green> (tbred @ 167x12)
Kingston DDR333 2x256Megs
<font color=red>Built by ATI Radeon 8500LE 128Megs</font color=red> @ C:275/M:290
July 27, 2004 2:51:48 PM

Ok, thanks guys.
!