Sign in with
Your question

I think i damaged my toshiba a205 wont do a system recover

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
June 26, 2010 4:57:47 AM

I have a Toshiba A205 and I shut it down manually (I know.. it's bad) and when it restarted it ALWAYS goes straight to repair windows and it's never successful. So I tried to do a System Restore and I just get an error message and nothing happens.. what do I do now? I'm really worried that it'll cost more to have it repaired than to get a new laptop. Saw somewhere that manually shutting down will damage the HDD, can someone tell me what that is?
a b D Laptop
June 28, 2010 9:34:45 PM

Yes, a manual shutdown does have the potential to damage a hard drive. This is the case because suddenly cutting power to it can fuss up a mechanical hard drive that is in the midst of a read/write, i.e. picture cutting power to a record player. Unless you have anything vital on it, your best bet is to attempt to do a system recovery by accessing the recovery partition. This will set the computer back to factory conditions. If that doesn't work, chances are that the hard drive is indeed probably damaged.
m
l
a c 219 D Laptop
June 30, 2010 6:30:28 PM

You should not have to do anything with the laptop aside from getting a new hard drive. $60 for a new drive, maybe another $100 for a tech to install it and re-install Windows, and you are set.
m
l
Related resources
July 1, 2010 2:46:56 PM

yeah if you ahve the disks you can try making an image of the drive to restore from as well, (acronis (spelling?) is a great product for this). Otherwise format and try reloading the data.
m
l
a c 219 D Laptop
July 1, 2010 4:27:48 PM

evilavatar said:
yeah if you ahve the disks you can try making an image of the drive to restore from as well, (acronis (spelling?) is a great product for this). Otherwise format and try reloading the data.

I'd recommend agains re-using the same disk if you have anything on there you may want to try to recover. A new drive is not too much and will ensure any recoverable files from the old drive can be gotten to, such as pictures, email files, etc...
m
l
July 1, 2010 6:37:01 PM

too true, plus with so many places not sending disks with the computers anymore it can a be a beast to deal with a problem. That is part of why i ahve backup images of the hard drive of my computer(s) laying around somewhere. I have had a beastly HP i have abused for almost 6 years and it is still plugging along, but my poor laptops have not faired near as well :? I highly suggest Acronis ( http://www.acronis.com/) or something like it to make an image of the hard drive when you first get the comupter just in case. you can always recover the image to a new drive later. If you have more than one drive slot you could also plug in a 2nd drive and copy or use an external drive.
m
l
!