Palm Desktop lost data

December 16, 2004 2:30:09 AM

Hi,

I've perused the various forums and have not seen this answered.
I have synched a 3xe with the newest palm desktop software.
Everything was working flawlessly.
Then I moved the "username" folder from C:\Program Files\Palm One to
another directory for ease of backup.
I opened the Palm Desktop software and pointed it to the new location.
When I closed it and re-opened it there was no data.
After a few more tries I noticed that the memo app was still populated
but the todo, datebook, and addresses were not only empty of all data
but the categories were gone as well.
I moved the data back to the default folder and that didn't help.
Still no data.
Fortunately I have just installed this on my employer's pc and there
isn't any critical data and I restored most of it back by synching with
the palm using Handheld overwrites desktop.
However, I would like to find out why this happened so it doesn't
happen in the future. I'm pretty sure I've done this successfully in
the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Shawn

More about : palm desktop lost data

Anonymous
December 18, 2004 8:47:23 AM

<Shawn@Thrillofthechase.biz> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've perused the various forums and have not seen this answered.
> I have synched a 3xe with the newest palm desktop software.
> Everything was working flawlessly.
> Then I moved the "username" folder from C:\Program Files\Palm One to
> another directory for ease of backup.
> I opened the Palm Desktop software and pointed it to the new location.
> When I closed it and re-opened it there was no data.
> After a few more tries I noticed that the memo app was still populated
> but the todo, datebook, and addresses were not only empty of all data
> but the categories were gone as well.
> I moved the data back to the default folder and that didn't help.
> Still no data.
> Fortunately I have just installed this on my employer's pc and there
> isn't any critical data and I restored most of it back by synching with
> the palm using Handheld overwrites desktop.
> However, I would like to find out why this happened so it doesn't
> happen in the future. I'm pretty sure I've done this successfully in
> the past.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

To move *all* users from one PC to another and, in the process, cause the
Palm Desktop in the new PC to lose track of any users already registered on
that machine, you need to bring along the "users.dat" file found in the
\Palm or \palmOne root folder. This file tells the desktop the names of
each registered user and the exact name of the folder containing the user's
data. Without this info, the Palm Desktop simply will not "see" the user
folder which you previously copied over.

Carmine Castiglia
InfosystemsPro LLC
PalmOS Apps for engineers and machinists. Screws for your T / T2 / T3 too!
http://www.infosystemspro.com
December 20, 2004 3:00:21 AM

> To move *all* users from one PC to another and, in the process, cause
the
> Palm Desktop in the new PC to lose track of any users already
registered on
> that machine, you need to bring along the "users.dat" file found in
the
> \Palm or \palmOne root folder. This file tells the desktop the names
of
> each registered user and the exact name of the folder containing the
user's
> data. Without this info, the Palm Desktop simply will not "see" the
user
> folder which you previously copied over.
>
> Carmine Castiglia
> InfosystemsPro LLC
> PalmOS Apps for engineers and machinists. Screws for your T / T2 /
T3 too!
> http://www.infosystemspro.com

Yeah, I think I did that. The problem is that I did it after I had
that problem. I moved the individual user folders. Couln't find the
data. Then moved the user.dat file. Then I couldn't find the data in
either place, yet the desktop app still "knew" the user's names and,
when I moved the files back to the original location, the memo app was
still populated while the others were empty.
Does this make sense?

Thanks again,
Shawn
!