MN-720 Driver Update Problem

David

Here is a funny/strange MN-720 behavior issue. I have not
seen anyone else in the NG with this problem...

I have a Compaq Armada E500 running XP SP2. I get a
notification from the broadband utility that there is a
critical update available. When I go to the website, the
page tells me that there is a driver update for the MN-720
card. When I download/run the update, it tells me that
all of the components are up to date, but the utility is
never sucessful in finding the wireless card. I have
followed the setup recommendations (unplug and re-plug the
card, etc). I have posted this to Microsoft support, and
they probably did not read my message, as I was told to
download and run the Update, and the driver will be
updated automatically. I have even tried to manually
update the driver, but I still have an old driver
(7/7/2003, 3.20.26.0).

Is the driver available by itself anywhere? Even
stranger, does anyone have any ideas as to why the utility
does not find the wireless card? Thanks in advance!

Cs

"David" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here is a funny/strange MN-720 behavior issue. I have not
> seen anyone else in the NG with this problem...
>
> I have a Compaq Armada E500 running XP SP2. I get a
> notification from the broadband utility that there is a
> critical update available. When I go to the website, the
> page tells me that there is a driver update for the MN-720
> card. When I download/run the update, it tells me that
> all of the components are up to date, but the utility is
> never sucessful in finding the wireless card. I have
> followed the setup recommendations (unplug and re-plug the
> card, etc). I have posted this to Microsoft support, and
> they probably did not read my message, as I was told to
> download and run the Update, and the driver will be
> updated automatically. I have even tried to manually
> update the driver, but I still have an old driver
> (7/7/2003, 3.20.26.0).
>
> Is the driver available by itself anywhere? Even
> stranger, does anyone have any ideas as to why the utility
> does not find the wireless card? Thanks in advance!

Same thing happened to me. Unless you download the entire MS Broadband
Update package and run it, the new driver for the MN 720 will not be
updated.

With regard to the new driver..... Several of us, myself included,
experienced signal loss when updating the driver and had to revert back to
the previous version. I'm currently using the 7/7/2003 driver with XP SP2
and everything is working real well. My 720 is plugged in to a Toshiba
Satellite 1135. My desktop is hooked to a MN 700 base station. I'm not
saying you will experience the same problem I and several others had with
the newer driver, but you should be aware of it anyway just in case.

Regards.

Thanks for the warning regarding the driver. I have
indeed downloaded the entire MS Broadband update package,
and when I run it, the wizard does not find my card. It's
strange behavior, especially since the official Microsoft
party line is "download the update". No one hears me when
I say that the wizard does not find my card. It's plugged
into theo PC, and operating correctly.

Cs

Hi David:

What you're probably going to have to do is download the entire software
package from MS and run it. The file should be "msbnsoftware.exe" and can
be downloaded from the same location where the update package
"msbndownload.exe" is located. When that's run it will update the MN 720
driver to the latest version which has a file date of July 2004. Before you
run the update, make a backup of the old driver and move it to a safe place.
Since you're running XP SP2, you can always roll the driver back to the
previous version if it gives you problems.

Regards.