Intel's 'Nehalem' Now Officially Core i7

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Santa Clara (CA) - Intel today unveiled the brand of its upcoming processor: Nehalem, the successor of the Core 2 Duo CPU series, will be introduced as "Core i7" later this year and the company hopes that the new brand will be easily recognized and remembered by customers when they walk into a store to buy a new PC.

Intel's 'Nehalem' Now Officially Core i7 : Read more

G

I am so sick of the "i" everything since the iPod. I am certainly tired of Apple over using it as well as everyone else. Stop the madness!!!! Do something different, now I have to listen to 4 years of this crap from Intel too. I am not an Apple hater either I have a MBP and Iphone and love them.

[citation][nom]bobbydigi[/nom]I am so sick of the "i" everything since the iPod. I am certainly tired of Apple over using it as well as everyone else. Stop the madness!!!! Do something different, now I have to listen to 4 years of this crap from Intel too. I am not an Apple hater either I have a MBP and Iphone and love them. [/citation]
Yeah, too much I and E in things.

MercAB3

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2007
iHate it

"Core 3" would have made more sense, and would have been something consumers would easily identify as being an improvement on Core 2.

I think Intel's taking nomenclature lessons from Nvidia.

MrsBytch

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Core 4 would have made more sense since its a quad core processor. Core 3 wouldnt have made any sense. And the QXXX series being called core 2 makes no sense either since they have 4 cores. What are these guys smoking?

Brashen

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2008
Quit Freakin Bitchin!! My God you guys are a bunch of whiners who gives a dead rat's feces what they call it I don't care if it's iRape you or isodomize you as long as it's a good product!!

G

"I" has load of connotations Idiot, Imbecile, Ignorant, Immature, Irrational, Impulsive, Intermittent, Incomprehensible, Inconclusive, Ironic, and the ever popular Illogical (Mr. Spock).
I7 Inherently means the 7th generation cpus.. along the lines of a 786 model.. 8086,8286,8386,8486,8586(pentium),8686, now 8786.. But along similar features, power, and mhz specs as the 6th generation processor (core-2's)

Thanks to AMD, the Pentium line-up had a vast run of success. Multi-Core & multithreading computing on a single chip was not needed by most home consumers (until recently). On mhz note, we're talking about computers beginning in the 4.4ghz native mode (2x 2.2ghz) going all the way up to 6.6 (4x2.4ghz) and beyond overclocked/extreme cooled & tweaked. The next level of performance increases will be when a single chip (quad core extreme) breaks into the 10-12ghz native mode not overclocked with no heat issues (3.33ghz to 4ghz per core--much in the same way hard drives now have 333-375gb per platter hard drives).

However, the top of the line chips will be mighty expensive if AMD doesn't come out with some blockbuster competitive chips. Even though these kinds of chips are in the R&D pipeline, the economy has got Intel & Amd looking much like GM & Ford.

G

Core 2 stands for the second generation of the Core architecture, not the number of cores. The "duo" and "quad" suffixes are what determine the number of cores. Pay attention. The 7 in "i7" most likely means that this is Intel's 7th generation of x86 chips.

G

Actually, DumbBytch, Core 3 would make sense. There are already plenty of quad-core CPUs, and there will be dual-core nehalems. Core 2 is the second generation of the "Core" processor, so clearly, retard, the next in line would have been Core 3. Go kill yourself, and don't reproduce.

beliskner_thor

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
um as far as i know the reason that the core duo line was called duo was because they were based on a 2 core architecture, where their quad core was actually 2 dual core on the same die which caused debate about its quad core name because technically it was a dual, dual core

with the nahelem architectuare, the whole thing is based on a single core architecture as far as i know so you could have a 1,2,3,4,8 or whatever amount of cores you wanted where the "quad" core would truely fit the definition of a quad core processor

so intel calling it a "CORE" does make sense since it is based on a single core architecture instead of a dual core architecture which is "CORE DUO"

and for my own addition of thought, intel has never done me wrong so far and i cant wait to see what nahelem is capable of

bfstev

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
Im reserving my judgement until i know what the hell i7 means. However i do have doubts that it will really mean anything definitive. I hope that the new naming will help differentiate abit, but i guess we will just have to see.

jmods

Distinguished
May 3, 2008
to Brashen thanks for the laugh on my lunch break! iRape you and iSodomize you would be great names for what the big boys in the Tech industry are doin to consumers lately.

the laugh made all the average pc user idiots Downloading WinXP anti-virus 2008 and Vista antivirus 2009 bareable today. Seriously how the #@$%* can you be tricked by the obviously fake software

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I can already see the advertising now: Windows 7 running on the i7! 7 times the pow-pow-power!

And god help you if you try to run Windows 7 on an "underpowered" Q9450.

snarfies1

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]someguy99[/nom]The 7 in "i7" most likely means that this is Intel's 7th generation of x86 chips.[/citation]

No, the Pentium 4 was their 7th generation X86 chip.

[citation][nom]Alvine[/nom]I wonder how much the "extreme" editions will cost Hopefully amd comes out with their new cpus also. [/citation]

Like normally probably $999 tray prices for the Extreme Editions and they have released some info of a 2.66GHz Nehalem being $284 tray priced released at the same time.

[citation][nom]MrsBytch[/nom]Core 4 would have made more sense since its a quad core processor. Core 3 wouldnt have made any sense. And the QXXX series being called core 2 makes no sense either since they have 4 cores. What are these guys smoking?[/citation]

Oh IDK its the second iteration of the Core micro architecture????? Hence Core 2.... with Duo meaning dual core and quad meaning quad core?

Evolution2001

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
[citation][nom]jmods[/nom]the laugh made all the average pc user idiots Downloading WinXP anti-virus 2008 and Vista antivirus 2009 bareable today. Seriously how the #@$%* can you be tricked by the obviously fake software[/citation]Ha! You're seeing that too? Gettin' more popular with the people I support (or would that be iSupport???) Thankfully, it's a quick & simple removal using Process Explorer (a "must have" free util)

hurbt

Distinguished
May 7, 2008
core 2 was confusing as hell.

Why not just have one fricken code name... the "Nahalem"... you know, like Ford and all the auto manufacturers do. We all know what a Ford Mustang is, and we all know there are several different versions... some with v8's, some with 6 bangers... just like some Nahalems will be 2 bangers, some 4, and apparently, some will have v6's or v8's in the future. Then the steppings would be like model years for mustangs... is he 08 'stang really better than the 07? I don't know, 'cause I'm a computer geek.. :)

Gravemind123

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Here is my guess at the naming:

1. Pre 32-bit CPUs
2. i386
3. i486
4. Pentium(P5)
5. Pentium 4/Netburst
6. Intel P6(Pentium II, III, Core, Core2)
7. Intel i7

At least that is my guess as to why they named it as such, it is the 7th major core design they have released.(lumping pre 32-bit together as one thing and ignoring all non x86 releases, Itanium/i860/i432/etc...)

Status
Not open for further replies.