My Dr. Who pinball needs a Doctor!

I've got a couple of issues happening with my Dr. Who pinball, most are
minor, but I will be addressing them all during this coming winter.

The biggest issue right now is a sticking right flipper. When the pin has
been off (like overnight) and you start to play. The flipper works great.
After a period of time 30 minutes +, gradually the flipper doesn't return
down to it's lowest resting position. So pretty soon it is stuck at about
50%.

I've read through the messages on the newsgroup regarding sticky flippers -
and it seems like I have a mechanical issue vs. a electical one since the
flipper doesn't return down when the pin is turned off.

Should I be looking at a flipper rebuild kit?
http://www.pinballlife.com/page190.html
Does this machine use "Fliptronic" flippers?

Any other thoughts???

Thanks in advance,

Craig
4 answers Last reply
More about pinball doctor

    >Should I be looking at a flipper rebuild kit?
    >http://www.pinballlife.com/pag e190.html

    Yes

    >Does this machine use "Fliptronic" flippers?

    Yes get the fliptronic style kit

    John Pursglove
    http://www.southjerseypinball.com

    It sounds like you may not have enough clearance between
    the flipper crank and bushing, (up & down).

    Use the guage supplied with the game to check. There
    should be a picture of it and the procedure somewhere
    in the game manual.

    Fred
    TX
    CARGPB#8
    ===================================
    CSats wrote:

    > The biggest issue right now is a sticking right flipper. When the pin has
    > been off (like overnight) and you start to play. The flipper works great.
    > After a period of time 30 minutes +, gradually the flipper doesn't return
    > down to it's lowest resting position. So pretty soon it is stuck at about
    > 50%.

    Sounds to me like you need to replace your flipper coil. It's already
    pretty much fried, you heat it up and it gets mushy and melted.

    You don't have to replace coils often but I think this is the case.
    Take your flipper apart and see if you can slide the coil sleeve out.
    If you can't, definetly needs replacement.

    While you are at it, replace the link, plunger, and coil stop.

    CSats wrote:
    > The biggest issue right now is a sticking right flipper. When the pin has
    > been off (like overnight) and you start to play. The flipper works great.
    > After a period of time 30 minutes +, gradually the flipper doesn't return
    > down to it's lowest resting position. So pretty soon it is stuck at about
    > 50%.
    >
    > I've read through the messages on the newsgroup regarding sticky flippers -
    > and it seems like I have a mechanical issue vs. a electical one since the
    > flipper doesn't return down when the pin is turned off.
    >
    > Should I be looking at a flipper rebuild kit?

    That's a good place to start; one stop shopping for most of the
    normally failed parts.

    > Does this machine use "Fliptronic" flippers?

    Yes, it does.

    > Any other thoughts???

    You could have other problems causing this. MOST of them are included
    with a rebuild kit, but not all:

    * Expanded plunger tip causing dragging. (in rebuild kit)
    * Dirty / gunked up coil sleeve. (in rebuild kit)
    * Too little OR TOO MUCH veritcal play with the flipper. (adjustment)
    * Heat damaged coil. (not in rebuild kit)
    * Pawl hanging up on EOS switch. (new EOS in rebuild kit)

    What I'd do is I'd put the playfield up and flip the mechanism by hand
    (POWER OFF!). It should move cleanly and easily. Check to see if it's
    hanging up on the EOS switch. If not, then check the up/down (i.e.
    "through the playfield") play... It should be about 1/16" IIRC. If
    you have more than that, the flipper can wind up twisting and binding
    in the playfield bushing.

    After that, I'd go ahead and use the parts in the flipper rebuild kit.
    When you get around to replacing the coil sleeve, if you can't get it
    out (or if it's REALLY REALLY difficult) then your root cause is
    probably a heat damaged coil. If not, then go ahead and replace with
    all the parts in the rebuild kit, and see if your sticking problem goes
    away.

Video Games