Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

MN-500

Last response: in Networking
Share
Anonymous
September 10, 2004 7:15:15 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
downlink port on this device?

More about : 500

September 10, 2004 10:21:20 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

The MN-500 has only one uplink port if that is what you mean. The
uplink port is the modem port. Most switches, hubs & routers only have
one uplink port & most routers use the WAN or modem port as that uplink
because it will be connecting one network to a different network.

Frank Bartos wrote:

> Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
> downlink port on this device?
Anonymous
September 11, 2004 3:39:43 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

You may simply want to buy or make a "crossover cable" which is what you
need to connect hubs/switches to other hubs/switches unless one of the
devices has a plug that's crossed-over already. Some switches (don't know
about the MN-500 router/switch) have dynamically crossing ports. If you
crimp your own 100BaseT cables, switch the orange with the green on one end
only. Otherwise, go to your favorite computer store and buy a crossover.
If it's a small store, they should be able to crimp you one for the same
price as an equal length ordinary Ethernet cable. Another name for
crossover is "patch cable."

> Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
> downlink port on this device?

I've never seen a configurable hub. If it's a router or bridge, yes.
Switches should be self-configuring and hubs are basically a mess of wires.

--NDB
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 11, 2004 4:15:30 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

They do make managed switches & managed hubs. Those are generally only
used by companies though.

N Buzdor wrote:
> You may simply want to buy or make a "crossover cable" which is what you
> need to connect hubs/switches to other hubs/switches unless one of the
> devices has a plug that's crossed-over already. Some switches (don't know
> about the MN-500 router/switch) have dynamically crossing ports. If you
> crimp your own 100BaseT cables, switch the orange with the green on one end
> only. Otherwise, go to your favorite computer store and buy a crossover.
> If it's a small store, they should be able to crimp you one for the same
> price as an equal length ordinary Ethernet cable. Another name for
> crossover is "patch cable."
>
>
>>Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
>>downlink port on this device?
>
>
> I've never seen a configurable hub. If it's a router or bridge, yes.
> Switches should be self-configuring and hubs are basically a mess of wires.
>
> --NDB
>
>
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 3:20:24 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

> They do make managed switches & managed hubs. Those are generally only
> used by companies though.

While that's true, most of them are managed through a serial port
connection, not a web interface on the subnet in my experience. I was
operating under the supposition that such hardware would not be in the hands
of someone routing with an MN-500, and asking about a crossover cable :) 

I was just trying to answer the question for the guy as well as you answered
my question a few days ago! You were extremely helpful.
September 12, 2004 1:45:10 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.broadbandnet.hardware (More info?)

I know of several that use TCP/IP to manage the switch using any
ethernet port. One of which I just saw at Wal-Mart that is a 4 port
managed switch with a 1 USB port print server built in. If I remember
right it was less then $70 so it is possible for the average user to
have one.

Also I have had countless times had someone ask a question like that &
they were working for a company that has 24+ port managed switches (via
TCP/IP). The company was using the MN-500 as a WAP. So that is why I
included that information. I just try my best to be thorough.

So that is why I throw stuff like that into the mix.

I'm going to bed now. I just got home from work. I apologize if I have
not used the right words. My spell checker said I spelled everything
correct, but I may have typed the wrong word.

N Buzdor wrote:
>>They do make managed switches & managed hubs. Those are generally only
>>used by companies though.
>
>
> While that's true, most of them are managed through a serial port
> connection, not a web interface on the subnet in my experience. I was
> operating under the supposition that such hardware would not be in the hands
> of someone routing with an MN-500, and asking about a crossover cable :) 
>
> I was just trying to answer the question for the guy as well as you answered
> my question a few days ago! You were extremely helpful.
>
>
!