MN-500

Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
downlink port on this device?
5 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware

    The MN-500 has only one uplink port if that is what you mean. The
    uplink port is the modem port. Most switches, hubs & routers only have
    one uplink port & most routers use the WAN or modem port as that uplink
    because it will be connecting one network to a different network.

    Frank Bartos wrote:

    > Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
    > downlink port on this device?

    You may simply want to buy or make a "crossover cable" which is what you
    need to connect hubs/switches to other hubs/switches unless one of the
    devices has a plug that's crossed-over already. Some switches (don't know
    about the MN-500 router/switch) have dynamically crossing ports. If you
    crimp your own 100BaseT cables, switch the orange with the green on one end
    only. Otherwise, go to your favorite computer store and buy a crossover.
    If it's a small store, they should be able to crimp you one for the same
    price as an equal length ordinary Ethernet cable. Another name for
    crossover is "patch cable."

    > Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
    > downlink port on this device?

    I've never seen a configurable hub. If it's a router or bridge, yes.
    Switches should be self-configuring and hubs are basically a mess of wires.

    --NDB

    They do make managed switches & managed hubs. Those are generally only
    used by companies though.

    N Buzdor wrote:
    > You may simply want to buy or make a "crossover cable" which is what you
    > need to connect hubs/switches to other hubs/switches unless one of the
    > devices has a plug that's crossed-over already. Some switches (don't know
    > about the MN-500 router/switch) have dynamically crossing ports. If you
    > crimp your own 100BaseT cables, switch the orange with the green on one end
    > only. Otherwise, go to your favorite computer store and buy a crossover.
    > If it's a small store, they should be able to crimp you one for the same
    > price as an equal length ordinary Ethernet cable. Another name for
    > crossover is "patch cable."
    >

    >>Can I configure a network hub to an MN-500? Is there a
    >>downlink port on this device?
    >

    > I've never seen a configurable hub. If it's a router or bridge, yes.
    > Switches should be self-configuring and hubs are basically a mess of wires.
    >
    > --NDB

    > They do make managed switches & managed hubs. Those are generally only
    > used by companies though.

    While that's true, most of them are managed through a serial port
    connection, not a web interface on the subnet in my experience. I was
    operating under the supposition that such hardware would not be in the hands
    of someone routing with an MN-500, and asking about a crossover cable :)

    I was just trying to answer the question for the guy as well as you answered
    my question a few days ago! You were extremely helpful.

    I know of several that use TCP/IP to manage the switch using any
    ethernet port. One of which I just saw at Wal-Mart that is a 4 port
    managed switch with a 1 USB port print server built in. If I remember
    right it was less then $70 so it is possible for the average user to
    have one.

    Also I have had countless times had someone ask a question like that &
    they were working for a company that has 24+ port managed switches (via
    TCP/IP). The company was using the MN-500 as a WAP. So that is why I
    included that information. I just try my best to be thorough.

    So that is why I throw stuff like that into the mix.

    I'm going to bed now. I just got home from work. I apologize if I have
    not used the right words. My spell checker said I spelled everything
    correct, but I may have typed the wrong word.

    N Buzdor wrote:
    >>They do make managed switches & managed hubs. Those are generally only
    >>used by companies though.
    >

    > While that's true, most of them are managed through a serial port
    > connection, not a web interface on the subnet in my experience. I was
    > operating under the supposition that such hardware would not be in the hands
    > of someone routing with an MN-500, and asking about a crossover cable :)
    >
    > I was just trying to answer the question for the guy as well as you answered
    > my question a few days ago! You were extremely helpful.

Routers Hardware Configuration Microsoft Networking Product