Dell U2331H vs. LG W2442PA-BF

Ryker

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Hey everyone, it seems I'm having a really hard time deciding between the two monitors mentioned. I know Dell has the IPS panel, and is a bit smaller, whereas the LG uses a TN panel. Still, I heard some stories about backlight bleed and tinting for the Dell mentioned, so I'm really unsure of whether it's worth "risking" going for an IPS panel. It'd be my first, so is the difference really that big? What about sharpness of, say, text and such? Is it as good as with TN panels?

Solution
To be specific, the Dell uses an e-IPS panel which are relatively inexpensive to manufacture. The only issue you may have with e-IPS panel is the relatively slow 8ms response times compared to either 2ms or 5ms for TN panels.

Text should be sharp on any monitor as long as you are using native resolution.

The benefit of e-IPS panels would be wider viewing angles which means colors do not shift as much as TN panels. From my experience TN panels seem to have more backlight bleeding issues compared to other panel techs, but I bought IPS and VA monitors which are over $700.

E-IPS panels are similar to TN panels in that they are 6-bit color panels which means each primary color (Red, Green, Blue) has 64 shades and the monitor can produce...
To be specific, the Dell uses an e-IPS panel which are relatively inexpensive to manufacture. The only issue you may have with e-IPS panel is the relatively slow 8ms response times compared to either 2ms or 5ms for TN panels.

Text should be sharp on any monitor as long as you are using native resolution.

The benefit of e-IPS panels would be wider viewing angles which means colors do not shift as much as TN panels. From my experience TN panels seem to have more backlight bleeding issues compared to other panel techs, but I bought IPS and VA monitors which are over $700.

E-IPS panels are similar to TN panels in that they are 6-bit color panels which means each primary color (Red, Green, Blue) has 64 shades and the monitor can produce 256k actual colors. Using dithering these monitor can create up to around 16 million colors. You may have color banding issues, but if you used TN panel monitors in the past then this is nothing new.

Solution

Ryker

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
To give a bit of an update, I chose to go with the cheaper LG, and I'll consider investing into a better quality IPS display next time around. Hopefully this one will serve me well enough for my needs.

TRENDING THREADS