gjallerbru

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
So just how much better is an Itanium2 chip versus a Xenon with Hyper-threading? I mean the Itanium still costs like 8-10 times more...
Can it really be worth it to shell out $25,000 (just an estimate, don't flame me<grin>) for 4 Itanium chips when that same amount will buy you like 40 or 50 3.6Ghz(HT) Xenoxs.

Thoughts??

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Xenon gas doesn't have hyper-threading. And I don't even know what a Xenox is. Is that some cross between Xerox and xenon to make some photocopier with a special light? (Actually, I bet that they <i>do</i> use xenon lamps already.)

Now you might think that my answer is completely insane. The truth however is that so is reality. Corporations don't care about money like you and I do. So what if it costs ten times more. The licenses for the software that you run on this hardware costs <i>much</i> more than the hardware. So no one really cares how much the hardware costs.

Besides, a more sane answer also adds that Itaniums can access more memory and run 64-bit software, amongst other advantages. <b>Xeons</b> can't. (Or at least they can't <i>yet</i>.)

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

Mephistopheles

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2003
Hm, Dell is already <A HREF="http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/precn?c=us&cs=RC956904&l=en&s=hied" target="_new">selling 64-bit Xeons (Noconas)</A> in workstations right now...

<i><font color=red>You never change the existing reality by fighting it. Instead, create a new model that makes the old one obsolete</font color=red> - Buckminster Fuller </i>