Ode To The Internet

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Font
  • Cookie
  • Internet
Last response: in CPUs
July 29, 2004 4:08:06 PM

Anyone who can identify with all of the below wins a cookie<font color=red>*</font color=red>.<pre><font color=red>* Cookie to be provided by THGC. Delivery requires browser to not block.</font color=red></pre><p>
Quote:
<font color=purple>
<font color=black><b>Ode to the Internet</b>
By: Silver Phoenix</font color=black>

A modem whines, electrons sing, dance of connectivity complete;
Bringing sense out of chaos, the ever impossible feat.

A hamster danced before my eyes, and all I saw was light;
The dance itself was free, but the music had its price.

Jenni took it off for me, before she took it off;
Too free to be a prude, but too compromising to be free.

Protected by foolproof scanners, I was infected by virii;
The hackers wrote more diligently, so more the fool was I.

Standards come, standards go. Use of them they all agreed;
Now to use what was simple, a million standards I need.

Law suits of monolopy practices filled the empty bytes;
Existing choices were ignored, while we ignored lost rights.

The rambling fades, the song ends, this poem is now done;
At least while I put up with it, I had a modicum of fun.
</font color=purple>

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

More about : ode internet

July 29, 2004 4:20:41 PM

for god sake thats awful.... im shocked at the state of the human race that one of our species sat down, thought about that and then posted it on a forum..... shocking...

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"
July 29, 2004 5:36:43 PM

"Hello, I love you. Won't you tell me your name?" - The Doors, Hello, I love you

At least it isn't as awful as your grammar. To think that one of your species sat down, thought about <i>that</i>, and then posted it in response to a post on a forum. Now <i>that</i> is <i>shocking</i>! Besides, who ever said that I was one of <i>your</i> species anyway?

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
Related resources
July 29, 2004 8:14:54 PM

were those supposed to be funny? if not were they supposed to be stupid?

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 29, 2004 8:31:31 PM

If you didnt laugh your not geek enough =)

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0
July 29, 2004 8:35:00 PM

"we're not worthy...we're not worthy..."

Very good indeed :smile:

Spec:
Intel P4 2.4B
MSI 645E Max-U Mobo
1GB DDR333
R9600XT 128MB
SB Live 5.1
Samsung 120GB
Maxtor 120GB
LG DVD+-R/RW
WIN2K PRO SP4
July 29, 2004 8:53:32 PM

Quote:
If you didnt laugh your not geek enough =)

I couldn't have put it better myself. Only a real geek would recognize all of the references. **ROFL** For everyone else though I guess I'll list them.

The first reference is to Hapsterdance that if you didn't experience is difficult to explain. (I wonder if they ever got their domain back...) Besides being ever so cute and the music being strangely addictive, the music was later remixed into a CD album that was sold <i>without</i> the songs being available for free as downloads. It was strange, since the whole idea of Hampsterdance was free silliness.

The second is to Jennicam, who at one time showed naughy bits and activities because she showed her whole life freely. But once her site became popular and tons of people were even paying her for it, she had to switch to a provider with more bandwidth she caved in to that provider's decorum provisions and pissed off a lot of those people who had paid her to see all of her.

The third is to Norton (and all) who claim that their virus scanners actually protects against all virii, when in actuality some are Windows flaws that they can't protect against, and some are just so new that they don't have AV definitions yet. No one is truly safe, but they'll sure lie to you and tell you that you are if it means getting your business. Somehow no liability is involved.

The fourth is to a large combination of things and the basic fact that standards aren't implemented in a standardized way. If you go back as far as IE/Netscape frames vs. tables you'll understand. Java and M$ vs. Sun is another good one. Or look around at <i>anyone's</i> SQL. Or the lack of multiplatform .NET for that matter. The story just never ends.

The fifth is, of course, that while everyone is up in arms over M$ antitrust (even though you <i>can</i> install any browser or media player that you want to) they seem to be completely ignoring the Ass. of America's fight to get DRM and both Apple and M$'s happiness to provide. A side note also includes the obvious DCMA provisions that make it illegal in the US to actually use your own law-abiding Fair Use rights.

So basically, they're all geek things, and most are fairly old geek things at that. :)  It's a nostalgia thing.

July 29, 2004 10:24:22 PM

oh i get it, its just not funny. maybe its funny in a dennis miller kind of homosexual way.

wpdclan.com counter-strike game server - 66.150.155.52:27015
now featuring valve security module!
July 30, 2004 12:52:15 AM

I'm with you on this one jiggy haha.

<font color=white>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=white>
<font color=green>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=green>
<font color=red>XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX</font color=red>
July 30, 2004 12:29:38 PM

Well, as said, if you didn't laugh then you're just not geek enough. Don't worry. It's not so bad being ... normal.