Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Monitor Shuts off after 20 seconds

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
July 14, 2011 7:37:07 PM

My friend gave me his broken Gateway Lp2424 (24 inch hd) monitor that he dropped one day. The screen works perfectly for about 20 seconds then completely shuts off. I have taken the power supply board off and all the capacitors look to be in good condition. This leads me to believe that the power supply board might be the faulty culprit.

Is there any way for me to test the board so I don't waste money buying a replacement?

Thanks guys

More about : monitor shuts seconds

a b C Monitor
July 14, 2011 7:59:25 PM

Maybe. When you say "shuts off", do you mean it actually shuts down or just goes into standby mode?

If it completely shuts down then it is likely to be the power supply. However, if it goes into standby mode then it might also be the main controller.
Score
July 14, 2011 8:52:00 PM

hmm.. I'm not sure since there are no led's on the front (disconnected when he intially took the faceplate off or there aren't any). I don't have the monitor hooked up to a computer but I can tell by the color of the black screen when it's "on and off".

Would the power supply being faulty send the monitor into standy? Or if the psu is faulty will the monitor only shut off?
Score
Related resources
July 14, 2011 9:46:04 PM

Also while I'm at it, what is that thin white ribbon cable that connects to the faceplate? The monitor doesn't seem to act differently since it's been d/c
Score

Best solution

a b C Monitor
July 15, 2011 10:10:36 PM

dj nance said:
hmm.. I'm not sure since there are no led's on the front (disconnected when he intially took the faceplate off or there aren't any). I don't have the monitor hooked up to a computer but I can tell by the color of the black screen when it's "on and off".

Would the power supply being faulty send the monitor into standby? Or if the psu is faulty will the monitor only shut off?

Without knowing if the monitor is powering down or going to standby, it is really hard to move forward.

If it is shutting down then it is likely a bad power supply, but if it is going to standby it is more likely the main control board not properly sensing video input and forcing standby.
September 22, 2011 6:05:20 PM

Best answer selected by dj nance.
Score
a c 2001 ) Power supply
a b C Monitor
September 22, 2011 10:10:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
Score
!