DVD Burner Drives

Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from Dell
and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.

Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?

Thanks.

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 22:00:17 -0400, "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet>
wrote:

>Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
>instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from Dell
>and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
>buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
>
>Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
>
>Thanks.

It gives you a LOT more leeway options-wise if you have a dual-format
burner, especially if one format ends up "winning." At the moment,
we're right on the brink of DVD+ coming out with dual-layered discs,
so you might want to wait a bit to see what drives emerge as the new
ones to get.

Currently, though, I'm *really* happy with the incredibly-cheap
NEC-1300A. It's dual format, and can be obtained for ~$90 OEM at some
places online (like newegg.com).

-D

I've got a dual-format, but use +R media only, and am VERY happy with it.
Get a dual or a +R. It's probably best to avoid -R, as that format seems to
be losing popularity. I think everyone knows that whichever one starts to
"win" will benefit from a snowball effect, and the loser will virtually
dissappear before long.

"Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
> instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
Dell
> and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
> buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
>
> Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
>
> Thanks.

I've seen the OEM NEC 2500 with NERO (Black) on eBay for $103.00 delivered
in the past couple days. If your willing to spend a little more the Plextor
708 is a very nice drive. Does all but the DVD RAM.
Good luck,
RJ

"Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
> instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
Dell
> and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
> buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
>
> Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
>
> Thanks.

Nivek

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2001

I have two Plextor PX-708A drives in my Dimension 8100. The Plextor is all
format except DVD-RAM. They have worked quite well for me in the short time
that I've had them.

Personally I burn mainly in -R simply because for some strange NONE of the
DVD players that I own (2 plus a portable) will work with +R. I've even
tried a couple +R discs on my dad's and my brother's players and theirs
won't work with +R either. I've always heard and read that +R is the most
versatile (for lack of a better word) in stand alone players but my
experience has been just the opposite.

"BWL" <razamanaz99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I've got a dual-format, but use +R media only, and am VERY happy with it.
> Get a dual or a +R. It's probably best to avoid -R, as that format seems
> be losing popularity. I think everyone knows that whichever one starts to
> "win" will benefit from a snowball effect, and the loser will virtually
> dissappear before long.
>

> "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
> > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
> Dell
> > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
> > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
> >
> > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
> >
> > Thanks.

Yeah, I have a JVC 7 disc DVD changer for my home theater and according to
the manual, it plays - disks but NOT + disks. However I have played + disks
in the unit before with no problem. My main concern is if I buy a + burner,
I will get it home, burn a movie and then try to play it in my home theater
system and then all of a sudden, it will decide not to play a + disk! I
want to avoid this problem if at all possible.

"Nivek" <REMOVE_wwwebmail_REMOVE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have two Plextor PX-708A drives in my Dimension 8100. The Plextor is all
> format except DVD-RAM. They have worked quite well for me in the short
time
> that I've had them.
>
> Personally I burn mainly in -R simply because for some strange NONE of the
> DVD players that I own (2 plus a portable) will work with +R. I've even
> tried a couple +R discs on my dad's and my brother's players and theirs
> won't work with +R either. I've always heard and read that +R is the most
> versatile (for lack of a better word) in stand alone players but my
> experience has been just the opposite.
>

> "BWL" <razamanaz99@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I've got a dual-format, but use +R media only, and am VERY happy with
it.
> > Get a dual or a +R. It's probably best to avoid -R, as that format
seems
> > be losing popularity. I think everyone knows that whichever one starts
> > "win" will benefit from a snowball effect, and the loser will virtually
> > dissappear before long.
> >

> > "Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> > > Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats
(+ -)
> > > instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop
from
> > Dell
> > > and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
> > > buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
> > >
> > > Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
> > >
> > > Thanks.

I recommend the NEC2500a. It sells for about $87 at Newegg and it is the
new generation 8X drive. Has been bullet-proof so far.
Newer standalone DVD players will play +R media but older players are iffy.

"Sseaott" <SseaottATcomcastDOTnet> wrote in message
> Would it be better to get a DVD burner drive that has both formats (+ -)
> instead of one or the other? I'm getting ready to order a desktop from
Dell
> and I'm thinking of configuring it only with a 16X DVD drive, and then
> buying my own burner drive that has all the formats.
>
> Would this be wise to do or does it really not matter?
>
> Thanks.

>"WSZsr" nospam@hotmail.com

>I recommend the NEC2500a. It sells for about $87 at Newegg and it is the
>new generation 8X drive. Has been bullet-proof so far.
>Newer standalone DVD players will play +R media but older players are iffy.

How old is an older DVD player? 2 years? 1 year?

--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the Pros get more POWER!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

My one year old Toshiba plays +R but my 3 year old Sony does not.

"Alan S. Wales" <powrwrap@aol.compost> wrote in message
> >"WSZsr" nospam@hotmail.com
>
> >I recommend the NEC2500a. It sells for about $87 at Newegg and it is the
> >new generation 8X drive. Has been bullet-proof so far.
> >Newer standalone DVD players will play +R media but older players are
iffy.

> How old is an older DVD player? 2 years? 1 year?
>
> --
> "When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."
>
> See how the Pros get more POWER!
> http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

TRENDING THREADS