Can I Replace an AGP Video Card With PCI?

Thanks for helping me understand the NLX video card. In my search, I cannot
find one that is an upgrade over the present 16mb one.

I see plenty of 64mb video cards with the PCI interface. Can I switch with
the IBM Intellistation ePro 6893-92U machine? Will it degrade performance
by going from AGP to PCI, even while going from a 16mb card to a 64mb card?

I do have open PCI slots....
2 answers Last reply
More about replace video card

    Yes, you can replace the NLX card with a PCI card. The only major caveat is the
    level of PCI specification of the IBM motherboard compared to the level of spec
    of many new PCI cards. The latest PCI spec is 2.2 (for now), and many new cards
    are built to the 2.2 spec, and require a motherboard with 2.2 compliance. Ohter
    cards will run just as well in a PCI 2.1 motherboard, which I assume is the
    level of the board in your system, given its age.

    Depending on the software you run, the performance will vary. Anything that
    pushes a lot of bits thru the bus may well display slower, e.g. photos.
    Anything that depends on the processor in the graphics card to draw on screen is
    likely to run faster. This means that games may well run faster as will drawing
    packages that place geometric shapes on the screen. These are vague
    generalities and your mileage will vary... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:35:41 -0400, "Go Phils" <vcupdate@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Thanks for helping me understand the NLX video card. In my search, I cannot
    >find one that is an upgrade over the present 16mb one.
    >
    >I see plenty of 64mb video cards with the PCI interface. Can I switch with
    >the IBM Intellistation ePro 6893-92U machine? Will it degrade performance
    >by going from AGP to PCI, even while going from a 16mb card to a 64mb card?
    >
    >I do have open PCI slots....

    Ben,

    You are a treasure. Thanks so much.

    > Yes, you can replace the NLX card with a PCI card. The only major caveat
    is the
    > level of PCI specification of the IBM motherboard compared to the level of
    spec
    > of many new PCI cards. The latest PCI spec is 2.2 (for now), and many new
    cards
    > are built to the 2.2 spec, and require a motherboard with 2.2 compliance.
    Ohter
    > cards will run just as well in a PCI 2.1 motherboard, which I assume is
    the
    > level of the board in your system, given its age.
    >
    > Depending on the software you run, the performance will vary. Anything
    that
    > pushes a lot of bits thru the bus may well display slower, e.g. photos.
    > Anything that depends on the processor in the graphics card to draw on
    screen is
    > likely to run faster. This means that games may well run faster as will
    drawing
    > packages that place geometric shapes on the screen. These are vague
    > generalities and your mileage will vary... Ben Myers
    >
    > On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:35:41 -0400, "Go Phils" <vcupdate@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Thanks for helping me understand the NLX video card. In my search, I
    cannot
    > >find one that is an upgrade over the present 16mb one.
    > >
    > >I see plenty of 64mb video cards with the PCI interface. Can I switch
    with
    > >the IBM Intellistation ePro 6893-92U machine? Will it degrade
    performance
    > >by going from AGP to PCI, even while going from a 16mb card to a 64mb
    card?

    > >I do have open PCI slots....

Dell PCI Graphics Cards Computers