Can I Replace an AGP Video Card With PCI?

Thanks for helping me understand the NLX video card. In my search, I cannot
find one that is an upgrade over the present 16mb one.

I see plenty of 64mb video cards with the PCI interface. Can I switch with
the IBM Intellistation ePro 6893-92U machine? Will it degrade performance
by going from AGP to PCI, even while going from a 16mb card to a 64mb card?

I do have open PCI slots....

Yes, you can replace the NLX card with a PCI card. The only major caveat is the
level of PCI specification of the IBM motherboard compared to the level of spec
of many new PCI cards. The latest PCI spec is 2.2 (for now), and many new cards
are built to the 2.2 spec, and require a motherboard with 2.2 compliance. Ohter
cards will run just as well in a PCI 2.1 motherboard, which I assume is the
level of the board in your system, given its age.

Depending on the software you run, the performance will vary. Anything that
pushes a lot of bits thru the bus may well display slower, e.g. photos.
Anything that depends on the processor in the graphics card to draw on screen is
likely to run faster. This means that games may well run faster as will drawing
packages that place geometric shapes on the screen. These are vague
generalities and your mileage will vary... Ben Myers

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 14:35:41 -0400, "Go Phils" <vcupdate@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks for helping me understand the NLX video card. In my search, I cannot
>find one that is an upgrade over the present 16mb one.
>
>I see plenty of 64mb video cards with the PCI interface. Can I switch with
>the IBM Intellistation ePro 6893-92U machine? Will it degrade performance
>by going from AGP to PCI, even while going from a 16mb card to a 64mb card?
>
>I do have open PCI slots....

Ben,

You are a treasure. Thanks so much.