Coil diode reversed?

Sorry if this posts twice...happy fingers...

I THINK I may have reversed the coil diode on a Bally flipper coil.
Based on my memeory of what i have set up and what I have been reading
today, I'm pretty sure I did reverse them. that is, power is going
tothe unbanded side of the diode. The coil will not fire, but thus far
I don't have any other problems, blown fuses, etc. If I did reverse
the diode (which I will verify when I get home) and put power to the
coil, what damage have I done?

Thanks!!

martin

Power (positive) goes to the banded end. It should have blown a fuse,
and possibly the diode as well. If the fuse is not blown, then you have
probably destroyed the driver transistor.

Double check the fuse, and check the diode with a meter - if the fuse
is blown, the diode is probably shorted.

Pretty much depends what game. An early
Bally may just blow a fuse at worst if a
diode is incorrect.

Fliptronics games don't always fair as well...

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
====================================

<rwkeown@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I THINK I may have reversed the coil diode on a Bally flipper coil.
> Based on my memeory of what i have set up and what I have been reading
> today, I'm pretty sure I did reverse them. that is, power is going
> tothe unbanded side of the diode.

No- power always goes to the cathode (banded) side of the diode. The anode
(non-banded) side is the low side. You may have shorted out the diode.
Remove one leg (out of circuit) and test to be sure. We have new
replacement 1N4007 diodes available if you need new.

> The coil will not fire, but thus far
> I don't have any other problems, blown fuses, etc. If I did reverse
> the diode (which I will verify when I get home) and put power to the
> coil, what damage have I done?

Depends on which diode- there should be 2 of them. Usually this will short
the diode out. As a result of the shorting, you can pop a fuse anytime
flipper is activated, but if it's not doing that, at least check the diode
and reverse it or replace.

Ray J.
--
Action Pinball & Amusement, LLC