Status
Not open for further replies.

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hey everyone,

Im looking at 2 different monitors right now and im not sure whether i want the LCD or an LED

LED: Phillips 224L2SB Blade 22" ($159)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=199586&CatId=5469

LCD: (two choices)
LG W2340V-PN 23" ($159)

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7248295&CatId=4420

ASUS VH222H-P 22" ($149)
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6494460&CatId=2775

so all i really wanna know is which brand is the best, however i prefer the Phillips only because of the LED and its the same price as the others however if Phillips isn't that great of a brand then ill just get one of the others cause i don't want a dead monitor after a short period of time. also the screen sizes are all generally the same size so that doesn't factor in anything for me and i don't really care about the 5ms response vs 2ms response time since there is basically no noticeable difference

so which is the best choice for me? i will be using it mainly for gaming and other basic tasks (surfing web, word documents, etc.)

thanks in advance

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
i saw a thread for a template for monitor advice on this site so ill post again using the template since it will probably help a lot more people

Approximate purchase date: this week or next week, asap really

budget range: $120-$200 after shipping handling and taxes (i will be a little flexible if you think its worth it.

usage (most to least important): gaming, movies, web, documents,

preferred website: tigerdirect.ca , newegg.ca

brand preferences: no clue, first real monitor since ive just been using a 720p tv ever since i got my computer so id like to hear some thoughts on best brands to get in my budget range

physical size: diagonal 21"-24"

resolutions: 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

connections: 1 HDMI from desktop computer

panel type: ??

LED?: indifferent, if its not a big deal then i wont really care if its LCD vs LED

Speakers: indifferent, i will be using my own speakers anyways

wall mount: wont be using it, however if its got the option then it would be nice for maybe later

stand functions: tilt

Comments: i want good image quality and i dont want to have a crazy bright screen that will burn my eyeballs out after looking at it over a 2-3 hour period

thanks again :)

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

mhm, well

Lets take the Asus VH222H LCD monitor and compare it with the Philips 224CL2SB LED monitor that the OP proposed.

From specifications of the website, it says that the LED monitor takes up 20watts while the LCD monitor takes up 55watts. So now if you look at this website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electricity_pricing

^It says that the 2011 average of kilowatt hour pricing is $11.20. After some simple calculations, assuming you get 8 hours of sleep per night and your monitor is on for 16 hours a day (And I doubt its that much, its probably a lot less), but either way, assuming its on for 16 hours a day, the LED monitor will cost you:

$1.09 to operate a month while the LCD will cost you $2.99 a month.

So therefore for the LCD, it will cost you $1.90 more per month to operate then the LED...

So hey, I'm not judging here, money is money after all, so if you are looking to cut off $1.90 at most (It would probably less then a dollar since it most likely won't be on for 16 hours every single day but less) from your monthly electric bill then by all means go for it, but in my opinion, you shouldn't let that be your deciding factor of getting a TV.

Just one shower would cost more than that, I just wanted to put things into perspective.

Thats just my $0.02 :)

vibrantxxninjas

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011

thanks for that.. i never really thought about how little of a difference there will be in the electricity bill :p im going over to tigerdirect this weekend and i guess ill just pick whatever one looks nicer (hopefully they'll have them on display) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.