sevemiller

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
I just had a local shop assemble the following PC for Photoshop (including RAW conversion with C1LE), video editing, music, and all the normal Office and web uses (not a gamer, sorry):

P4 3.0E, Asus P4C800-E mobo, 1 GB Kingston RAM, ATI Radeon 9600 SE (128 MB), HDs as shown below, Lite-on DVD-ROM and 8x DVD-burner (separate), Impressions case, internal card reader, etc.

For the hard drives, I went with a 37 GB Raptor for the OS/Apps, 2 WD 160 GB drives in Raid 1 for Photos, and put my existing 40 GB WD IDE drive in for music storage (this will also give me plenty of options for the swap file and scratch disk).

Here's the problem. THIS THING IS SO LOUD IT SOUNDS LIKE THERE'S A BLOW DRYER INSIDE THE CASE. I've isolated the noise; it's all coming from the CPU fan (when I unplug it, the machine is whisper quiet).

I find it hard to believe that this chip is supposed to be this loud (FYI, from the BIOS, I can see that the chip is at 50-degrees and the mobo is 36-degrees). The shop is going to try a different fan, but does anyone have any other suggestions. I've heard great things about this chip, but if you have suggestions for other chip/mobo combinations that deliver similar speed (even for more money), I'm willing to try it. I use this computer in our bedroom; if it stays this loud, I don't even know if the basement will be an acceptable home.

Thanks,

Steve

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
I had exactly the same retail cpu 3.0e. same problem. I found this cooler, called the Zalman CNPS7000A. It's weighs 740grams, all copper, comes with 92mm fans, and is ultra quiet at db 25. The Intel stock fan is 60mm and generates dB41 @ 5400rpm. Very loud like a hair blow dryer.

My temps have also dropped considerbly idle is only 43c , before it was 47c. Full load is 62c before , now it is 65c. however , i tested the Zalman CNPS7000A on my new cpu 3.2E , and not the 3.0e.

The Zalman CNPS7000A is very easy to install for socket 478. it comes with two metal clips, and screws, and thermal compound. Now i am gaming quiet happily , i can hear myself think. Your local computer shop , should carry some.

link to the Zalman for specs:
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-109&depa=0" target="_new">http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-118-109&depa=0</A>

------
Prescott 3.2E 1MB L2 HT
1GB PC 3200 Dual channel(PAT)
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
PNY Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3
60,823 Aquamarks

sevemiller

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Thanks for the response. I also posted on dpreview.com (photo site) and got several recommendations for the Zalman 7000-AlCu. It's much lighter than the all copper heatsink but sacrifices little with regard to cooling.

I agree about the noise and spin rate of the stock Intel fan. When I realized that the Zalman spins at half the speed (and even less in quiet mode - though not recommended for the 3.0E per the company), I quickly understood why the Intel is hair dryer loud and that it simply must go.

Thanks,

Steve

P.S. Anybody know if I can find one of these in stock in NYC? I know I can order it from newegg, but I would love to have it in time for the tech service call tomorrow afternoon (though after seeing the company's install video, I'm pretty certain even I could install it).

Johanthegnarler

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003
heh. I think it'd be better off just to get a nice new hsf then to go backwards. ^^

<A HREF="http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623" target="_new">http://arc.aquamark3.com/arc/arc_view.php?run=277124623</A>
46,510 , movin on up. 48k new goal. Maybe not.. :/

endyen

Splendid
In this case, newer is not better. The extra cache etc, is lost on the extra pipes. Northwood "C" is a step up from Presscott "E". The best presscott reviews I've seen, say it's as good as the P4c, except that it's so much hotter.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
I also posted on dpreview.com (photo site) and got several recommendations for the Zalman 7000-AlCu. It's much lighter than the all copper heatsink but sacrifices little with regard to cooling.
I saw that too at my local computer shop, but i chose the all-copper one , in hopes of not only getting quiet silent mode operation, but lowering cpu temps. Copper is heavier than aluminum. However the aluminum is better heat dissapator.

------
Prescott 3.2E 1MB L2 HT
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
60,823 Aquamarks

Schmide

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2001
Copper has a thermal transfer rate almost twice that of aluminum, while aluminum radiates heat better. In terms of performance copper is only possibly bested by silver, and aluminum is left to a definite close third.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...

sevemiller

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
I ordered the Zalman 7000-AlCu from newegg today, doesn't seem like installation should be too difficult, even for a newbie like me. Thanks again to everyone for the helpful comments.

Steve

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
740g and overpriced! You did know the AlCu has tested BETTER than the all copper version on review sites? No, because you probably don't read reviews that interfere with your misperceptions.

And now you'll want to argue why it's not possible, when I'm talking about practice, not theory!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Great choice!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
i concur, the Zalman is the quietest and best hsf that will fit in existing P4 retention brackets! Not required to remove mobo to install.

------
Prescott 3.2E 1MB L2 HT
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
60,823 Aquamarks

sevemiller

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Just a quick update. Installed the Zalman 7000-AlCu and couldn't be more pleased. The deafening blow dryer noise is gone and the idle temp dropped from 51C to 47C (at the company's suggestion, I am running it at the highest speed, 2400 rpm, because of the high heat generation of the "E" chip).

For anyone that is running a P4 "E" cpu with the stock HSF, buy the Zalman immediately.

Steve

P.S. FYI, installation was very easy, and I'm a newbie.

Kanavit

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2004
LOL, me too. I am running normal 2400rpm mode on my Zalman CNPS7000A all- copper cooler. Nice and quiet. idle temps dropped considerably from 47c to 42c. Load temps are the same 62c. but at least it's quieter. the E is very hot chip!

------
Prescott 3.2E 1MB L2 HT
Asus P4P800 Bios 1016
60,823 Aquamarks