Jun 16, 2004
hey , This is my rig.

2.4Ghz P4b
1x256mb , 1x512mb.
1x 80Gb IBM hdd. 1x 160Bg IBM hdd.
LG CD-RW , LG DVD reader.
SIS chipset mobo.
3 case fans + CPU fan.

and i'v just bought a PNY Geforce 6800GT for my rig (to play doom 3 lol.) i got it because i'm going to wait for a dual core intel then buy a new rig. But will a 350watt PSU keep my system stable and feed everything? thank you.

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There is about a fair chance that it will be enough if you're talking about a generic (or crappy) 350W power supply. If you're talking about a dependable 350 watter, then your chances raise significantly. I've seen bigger PCs survive on less ... at least for the first six months or so.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

endyen

Splendid
That video card may be the exception. It is a major power hog. You may be ok for a while, but a fortron 420 is pretty minamul with that card. Since you already have the 350 watt unit, try it, but keep an eye on your voltage rails.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
On models for Fortron: The 400W outputs 460W :smile: , standard 20-pin power. The 460W is a server power supply (24-pin), the 530 outputs around 600W :smile: , but the 550W is another server power supply (24-pin). Never seen one labled 420W.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Ugh. I will <i>never</i> trust another Fortron power supply. My company is using an OEM that <i>always</i> uses them. And the PCs <i>all</i> run fine out of the box. It's six months later (give or take) when the Fortron power supply's output finally drops enough that the PCs become completely unstable and unpredictable. Fortron is great ... if you replace your power supply every six months. Otherwise get something stable that will retain a steady output for years.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Some of my FSP power supplies are over 6 years old and still working perfectly. I've NEVER had problems with an FSP power supply, and they have an 11 year MTBF. On the other hand, ALL my Antec power supplies were garbage.

If you want a power supply that's stable for years, you get Fortron Source (with the FSP part number). Any other company using Fortron in the name that doesn't have an FSP part number I can't vouch for.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ditto! I've got a FSP-300 in my back-up Aopen tower that is already 3+ years old. Never a burp!

Abit IS7 - 2.8C @ 3.4 - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - THAT'S MORE LIKE IT!