bakkoi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Hi!

I'm wondering if what I'm looking for exists: a panel other than TN (preferably IPS), less than $350, and has all three of the following: VGA, DVI and HDMI.

I will be very grateful if anyone can help me out with this. Thanks :)

why limit yourself to a choice with all three? the switch between hdmi/dvi is a simple conversion cable and they make conversion boxes for vga input to hdmi/dvi.

as far as prices go you might be able to find a decent h/s-ips for that pice...and definitely e-ips choices.

why do you require a panel with all three? what are you trying to hook up? with more details perhaps we could give you some ideas.

bakkoi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Ah, I didn't realize I could convert it.

Sorry, here are my details: I need to use it as my primary desktop monitor... I need DVI to hook it up to my desktop video card, I need the VGA hookup for my work netbook, and I need HDMI for my PS3. But if I can convert, I guess I only need VGA and HDMI, although that would mean having to manually switch the cables everytime I wanted to use my PS3. I would do this if I had to. I guess I could say I'm looking for a 'gaming-friendly' IPS with a VGA port.

I also need it to be 'fast', as in, response time. I play a lot of arcade-style shoot em ups (Touhou) and I can't afford to have any ghosting or input lag (gameplay example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR3vgodIzqY

My current monitor is an IPS, a NEC Multisync 20WMGX2, but it's 5 years old and has some nasty burn-in at the top of the screen, making the screen look like it's melting.

I was considering the Asus ML239H, but the lack of a VESA mount makes me kind of wary... I really don't want to do the 'stacked book' thing again. I'm sure people here know what I'm talking about, haha.

Please advise.

i haven't seen ghosting in major brand lcd screens personally for quite some time. i think ips panels today are all below 14ms. to put this in perspective my older viewsonic is 16ms and never ghosted one bit. the timing they list is also not a good factor to base a decision on as they dont actually tell you normally what the time is for (grey to grey? black to white? etc)

you have quite a few options for ports open to you. keep in mind that you could always use an hdmi switch if you dont like unplugging things and if you dont have enough ports. i believe you can also get a box to translate vga to hdmi (or dvi) if you cannot find exactly what you are looking for.

i know what you mean by stacking books. i agree its not the best solution but its also normally cheaper to purchase monitors without all the bells and whistles. i absolutely love the base on my viewsonic vp201b but it cost me $600 5 years ago. a few stacked books (or a better looking solution) is well worth it to have an ips for a few bucks less in my opinion.

i'm not about to pick out a monitor for you but i can offer some insight. asus makes some good products so it might be a decent choice but be sure to read reviews first. you might also want to look at viewsonic. i have one and my uncle does too (he only paid like 300) and both look great.

bakkoi

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2011
Interesting. But you think current IPS would be able to handle intense gaming?

I live in Canada, which means selection is much more limited than the US due to customs fees and many US businesses simply not bothering with any non-US business. The only Viewsonic IPS I could find was out of my price range.

I know there's a list on PCHardwarehelp for IPS, but the type of IPS isn't always mentioned. I know you mentioned H/S-IPS. Why are those better than E-IPS? Would you be able to suggest any such monitors at my price range?