Sign in with
Your question

Need some computer advise

Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2004 10:07:15 PM

Sorry if this is off topic but I was told to repost here.
I could use some help on a new comp

I plan on building my first computer. I'm quite excited about it but also don't want to screw anything up. So far this is all I've decided I want.

Ati Radeon 9800 Pro 256MB
1 Gig 3200 DDR ram Corsair
AMD Processor

This will be a gaming machine and I look at spending $1000 to $1300
I've done a bunch of research but really its just spawned new questions.
Athlon Xp or 64? I heard AMD rates their chips different than intel, is this correct?
Is the Asus motherboard a good choice? Which one? The 939 looks good but then i'm a bit of a noob at this stuff.
What size power source do I need?
How do you make sure your motherboard fits your case?
Is there anything I need to watch out for when building my computer? Is there more physically than just connecting all the pieces?

My experience lvl is somewhere in the middle. I know what everything is and what it does when looking inside a computer. I can replace drives, cards, and all that. Its just that final step of building one from scratch that I've never done. Thanks to anyone that can offer any help.

More about : computer advise

August 5, 2004 10:46:04 PM

Hmmm. For your price range, I'd probably go with a socket 754 system. Socket 939 is newer, but that means greater expense and parts scarcity. I'd go with a A64 3000+, chaintech z-nf3 mobo, 1 gig corsair value select ram. That's your core, for about $400. Depending on what you need, I'd grab a lite-on dual layer burner for $90, that can burn anything and read anything you need. For HD, don't need anything grand, blow 100 bucks for a 120 GB sata drive, or a 36GB raptor at 10k to speed up those load times. I don't know what you want case wise, but say allocate $100 for case + psu, you should be able to get a good deal, get good combo, or a blinged-out case w/crap psu for $50-60 and use the rest for a fortron source PSU. Now you've spent about $700-750 of your budget. If you get the video card you wanted, you come in just about $1000 w/ shipping. But.. if you want to spend more, you can probably grab the x800 pro or a 6800gt for around $400, that'll make it a REAL gaming machine. But, I don't know if that budget includes monitor, mouse, speakers etc.... So that's my recommendation. Also, if you get the 9800, prob better off with the 128 version, it's signifigantly better priced, and performs almost as well.

"It's too late now anyway. That song is stuck in my head and the only way to get rid of it is to blow it out. With a bullet!! - Carl
August 5, 2004 10:49:54 PM

Quote:
This will be a gaming machine and I look at spending $1000 to $1300

Thats a pretty healthy budget should make building one go pretty smoothly

Quote:
Athlon Xp or 64? I heard AMD rates their chips different than intel, is this correct?

XP chip will be cheaper. However for gaming the 64 seems to do a little better. Note that the XP chip is more than capable of doing any gaming you want, the 64 is just a little better. You'll have to decide if the cost is worth it to you.

Yes AMD and Intel rate there chips differantly. For example: take a 3.0 ghz Pentium, a 3000+ chip from AMD will have similar performance, but only runs 2.0 ghz. Don't let the differences in clock speed worry you, check the benchmarks, AMD chip is roughly the same performance as the 3.0, even with the slower clock speed.

Quote:
Is the Asus motherboard a good choice? Which one? The 939 looks good but then i'm a bit of a noob at this stuff.

Asus does make good motherboard, and if you ask which motherboard to get on here, odds are most people will suggest and Asus board. Me personally I prefer Giga-Byte, had many giga-byte motherboards over the years, and always been impressed. As for which board, depends. What features do you want on the board, do you want RAID (sounds like you probably don't need it), SATA support? I personally need a board that has 6-8 channel audio, so that always limits my choices on boards.

Quote:
What size power source do I need?

400 watts should probably be your mininium. You could probably run on less, but no reason to even try it. Most people on this board will recommend a specific power supply. I personally have always just gone to the computer store and bought what ever was cheap and reasonable. I have always bought cheaper power supplies and always had good luck. Never had any problems with overclocking and such. Some people here have no not had the same expeirence with cheaper powersupplies.

Quote:
How do you make sure your motherboard fits your case?

Pretty much the motherboards are universal. Only one thing to watch, if you get a micro case, you need a micro motherboad. Other than that pretty much any board will fit in a full size case.

Quote:
Is there anything I need to watch out for when building my computer?

Just tips, when installing your motherboard into the case, make sure you only have the "stand-offs" (the things holding the motherboard) where you have screw holes in your motherboard. Also watch static electricity, keep yourself grounded, you probably already knew this, but a little shock can fry stuff.

My Desktop: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc.html&lt;/A>
Overclocking Results: <A HREF="http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc2.html" target="_new">http://Mr5oh.tripod.com/pc2.html&lt;/A>
Related resources
August 5, 2004 10:52:40 PM

Quote:
XP chip will be cheaper. However for gaming the 64 seems to do a little better. Note that the XP chip is more than capable of doing any gaming you want, the 64 is just a little better. You'll have to decide if the cost is worth it to you

Athlon64 is more than just a little faster, its quite a big jump especially for gaming. of course you can get an AthlonXP cpu for half price or less (cpu itself, not the whole system combined of course for price) and they are more than capable of handling even the most demanding games today.. but in my opinion the extra money for the A64 is worth it totally

other than that, i agree with what your saying. sinse he is building a gaming machine, i cant recommend Intel.

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>
August 6, 2004 1:39:05 PM

This is the new list:

Athlon 64 3000+
Asus K8V SE Deluxe
Kingston 1 Gig ddr400
Raidmax case with 420 watt
Ati radeon 9800 Pro 256mb

I've been looking at the Western Digital Raptor 74gb 10,000RPM SATA
Is this a good choice? What does "OEM only" mean?

Monitor/keyboard/3.5 drive I'll be ripping out of my old computer.
August 6, 2004 1:56:07 PM

haha thats almost exactly what I have...my opinions:

First: ASUS makes excellent boards. Don't plan on messing up, or having any questions for the ASUS support people becuae you will never hear a reply. But luckly alot of people here know the answers...including me (from experiences with the board).

Second: i spent $900 for my rig (posted below my name) so that will give you an idea of what to expect. If you plan on playing Doom 3 i suggest the 3200+.

Third: I have a raidmax case and I don't particulary like it too much. It's a weird configuration with two fans on the bottom part of the side panel blowing out...(when did hot air sink?).

Fourth: Tha SATA drive....well I have had alot of problems setting my SATA drive up, I eventually went to a ATA 133. The thing you have to do is have a floppy with drivers on it when you install Windows, now I don't know if you have any or not but I couldn't find a damn thing for mine( I began to wonder if the board requires it to be in raid ). But thats a warning for you.

Other than those things I think you will love your new setup. Good luck and if there is anything I missed or am wrong about please correct me.

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
512 MB Kingston PC3500
Sapphire ATI R9800 Pro 128 MB
80 GB Seagate ATA133
80 GB Hitachi SATA
August 6, 2004 1:57:52 PM

OEM means its just the drive. but since you will get all the cords you need from your Mobo, you dont need more then an OEM harddrive.

PERSONALLY, and others will disagree....i wouldn't get that. For the cost of a 74GB drive you can get a 200GB drive and have about 70bucks left over to buy some games, pizza, or beer. The drive only makes the levels load faster once they are loaded you dont get anything from them.

Check Newegg for a WD 200GB, i have found its lowest cost per Gig you will find in the WD line.

I dont know what you want to store on your HD. After you load 4-5games, some music, and maybe a couple South Park episodes or something like that you will have filled 60% of your drive. The 200GB isn't a bottomless pit of storage, but if you need more then 200, thats some serious storage.

Ultimatly its up to you...is saving 1min per level loaded worth spending about 2.5times as much for a third of the space?
August 6, 2004 2:47:53 PM

Touching on what others said, with the price drop that happend, you can pick up an AMD64 3400+ for the price of an old 3200+. A 3200+ is real cheap now, also. Honestly, just spend the extra bucks and pick up a 3200+ or a 3400+. You will be doing yourself a favor. If you buy an Athlon XP, that will run everything just fine, but it's not really future proofed. At least with a 3200+ or a 3400+ you are going to be set for a few years. You may find yourself wanting to upgrade sooner if you buy an athlon. One thing I have found, computers and tattoos have alot in common, mainly they are both addictive. But for sure go with at least a 3200+. I say this mainly because (and I don't know how big of a deal it is...I just think more is better) the 32 & 34 have a higher L2 cache (I believe). the 3000's only have like 512 (or something) and the 32 and up have like 1 gig.

AMD A64 3200+ (2.2GHz Newcastle)
MSI K8N Neo Platinum
512MB Mushkin PC3200 DDR400
nVidia 5900XT
August 6, 2004 3:03:07 PM

I want that 1GIG L2 mem...i am drooling.

Actually you mean 1MB. the lower A64 have 512k for L2 cache and the 3200+ and up have 1MB L2 cahce.
August 6, 2004 3:06:43 PM

"the 32 & 34 have a higher L2 cache (I believe). the 3000's only have like 512 (or something)"

You are correct, but the only game, as of now, that you cna see a real difference in the different cache levels is doom 3, since it hogs cache so much. Thats why i asked about doom3. Buuuuut it is true that the 32 34's will be more future proof as more games will probobly follow along and use alot more cache...

AMD Athlon 64 3000+
ASUS K8V SE Deluxe
512 MB Kingston PC3500
Sapphire ATI R9800 Pro 128 MB
80 GB Seagate ATA133
80 GB Hitachi SATA
August 6, 2004 4:22:35 PM

now if Fugger or Kanavit came and read this thread, they would call us a bunch of AMD fanboys, because no one offered an Intel alternative

but give me ONE GOOD REASON why someone should recommend an Intel based system if its meant to be a gaming system

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
<A HREF="http://www.subhi.com/keyboard.jpg" target="_new">This is you, interweb junky</A>
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2004 4:29:44 PM

ummmm
if your budget only allows you to get something in the P4 2.4c range? not even sure
What would be the price to get a 2.4c with DDR500 ram could you get a A64 2800+ system for aroudn that price?

Just tryin to find a intel alternative here altough with this budget Id go with A64 hands down.

Asus P4P800DX, P4C 2.6ghz@3.25ghz, 2X512 OCZ PC4000 3-4-4-8, Leadtek FX5900 w/ FX5950U bios@500/1000, 2X30gig Raid0
August 6, 2004 6:18:27 PM

yea i suppose a 2.8C/E wouldnt be bad, if you had a massive heatsink/watercooling so you could overclock the balls out of it

but you can get a 3000+ for around the same, and most of those hit 2.2-2.3ghz. at that clockspeed, itll be substantially faster (for gaming)

-------
August 8, 2004 12:26:37 AM

thanks.. I'll look into the 3200 or 3400+
I think I can use the same motherboard for that but is the 754 socket a good choice or should I go with the 940 or 939?

I might play doom3 a bit. I started this whole journey because I will be beta testing eq2 and need an upgrade.
August 8, 2004 9:44:04 AM

It depends on how you upgrade. If you do it piece by piece then get the 939. it is the board of the future and you will have more CPU options in the future. BUT if you replace most everything at once you will want the 754. its cheaper and AMD is supporting it up to A64 3700+. So by the time you need anytrhing faster then a 3700+ we will have DDR2, PCI-E, and other things that will require a new Mobo anyway.
August 11, 2004 3:45:28 AM

"now if Fugger or Kanavit came and read this thread, they would call us a bunch of AMD fanboys, because no one offered an Intel alternative"

It only works the other way, if we are pro Intel we get brutalized by the AMD fanboys here. Packing up like wolves when they smell blood is often the norm.

Dual channel DDR motherboard and a high end video card and you are set for gaming.

One good reason: The LGA775 platform comes with high definition audio not found on any AMD board or add on card. night and day difference when playing games and using audio chat, toss in a little metallica and you will know what I mean.

<b>Kanavit owns you, get over it already!<b>
!